Code Name Verity Review

Author: Elizabeth Wein Publishing Date: February 6th, 2012 Series:   Code Name Verity #1 Genre: historical fiction, young adult...




Author: Elizabeth Wein
Publishing Date: February 6th, 2012
Series: Code Name Verity #1
Genre: historical fiction, young adult, mystery
Page Count: 441

FIND IT ELSEWHERE
Goodreads - Barnes and Noble - Amazon

I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.
That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmf√ľhrer von Linden interrogating me again.
He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.
We are a sensational team.

REVIEW

What I Loved: My absolute favorite thing was how "Verity" wrote her story. She was such a strong character with a dazzling personality (every sentence she wrote was jam-packed with punch and wit) And I loved how everything connected together. There were some things in Verity's story that were mildly interesting, and I didn't give them a second thought, until Maddie brought them back to my attention. Character's that just seemed like side acts, meant to deal out punishments and cause drama turned out to play major roles in the intricate plot. If you are a writer, or someone simply fascinated by how a book is crafted, then I suggest you STUDY this book. It is a perfect example of originality. This book honestly took me by surprise. I will be reading it again.
What I Hated: There's hardly nothing at all that I legitimately didn't like. There are a few things that I wish could have been in the book, but those are mostly because of my personal preferences. I WISH there was more detail. However, this story is a report written up by a tortured prisoner of war. Realistically, there couldn't be more details. After I considered that, I grew to love how the scenes were told rather than showed. It just made sense. Another thing I would have loved was a bit more of a romantic story line (not that every character needs a love interest, it's just... I'm drawn to romantic stories because I DON'T have a love life). I'm a romantic. I love me some war love stories. Because of my innate NEED for at least a pinch of romantic plot, I found myself slightly bored with the first third of this story. I enjoyed what I read, but I wasn't pulled to continue reading. Then things got interesting (still no romance, though), and I began to read because I HAD TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT! I finished the last half of the book in a handful of hours. So yes, there is no romance (I did kind of ship Maddie and Jamie a bit...), but the action and the intrigue, and the mystery all made up for that. OH! And one last thing that annoyed me a little was how much of the story was told like a history book. That was another major reason I had a hard time getting into the story.
(For about 80% of this book I had it in my head that I'd rate it with three stars. The last 20% bumped it up to 5. This story was utterly sensational)
Read this book. Even if you would rather read romance, READ. THIS. BOOK. As you keep reading, the story gets better and better. When you reach that fantastic (and terribly heart wrenching) ending, the first part of the book won't look so boring. You'll want to go back and read it again. 

******
The Way I Imagined It: 


This is my Queenie. The entire time I read this story, I couldn't get Jennifer Lawrence out of my head! She would be perfect. She can do the comedy and the sexy. Read this book and tell me Jennifer couldn't play Queenie. I dare you.

Favorite Quotes:
“There's glory and honour in being chosen. But not much room for free will." 

"Kiss me, Hardy! KISS ME QUICK!"


You Might Also Like

0 comments