Divergent Review

Author: Veronica Roth Publishing Date: February 28th, 2012 Series: Divergent #1 In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago...

Author: Veronica Roth
Publishing Date: February 28th, 2012
Series: Divergent #1




In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


Warning: This thing's probably got some spoilers in it, but I'm too lazy to black them all out. Read at your own risk. 

What I loved:
Most of the time, when I read, I go through chapters where I'm interested in what's happening, but not in what's about to happen. While I read, the book is fine. When I put it down, I don't have a strong desire to pick it back up. I'm not usually wrapped in the story... not so for Divergent. 
Every second had me holding the book so tight that sometimes my knuckles went super white. This book was literally gripping. The action. The romance. The characters. And what's even better, Tris asked the right questions at the right time. People gave her answers, and if they didn't, well they had valid reasons for not spilling the beans. For the first time in a book, I wasn't frustrated with the delivery of mystery. This story was quite unique. 
And I loved Tris and Four. My absolute favorite thing about Divergent, as far as love goes, was how realistic Tris and Four's romance was. They met. They grew close and fell in love at a wonderfully real pace. There weren't any unnecessary love triangles either. I didn't have to wait until the end of the book, or even the end of the series to see my favorite couple get together. And that made  me so stinkin happy! You have no idea. I hugged the book to my chest and smiled like an idiot for a good bit after reading some of the scenes between Tris and Four. Can I just have a Four? SERIOUSLY! GIVE HIM TO ME! No. Scratch that. Let Tris keep him. I just want them to live happily ever after. That's all I want (and maybe a real life Four for myself *shrug*). 
Another thing I loved about Divergent was it's ability to make me feel. I felt bad for some of the characters. They seemed so real, and sad, and my heart went out to them. I'm thinking about you Al. Why, Al? Why did all that stuff have to happen to you? Why did you have to do all that stuff? I'm still not over you, Al. 

What I hated:
Ha! Hahahahahaha. 
Nothing. 
This book is literally so good, that I have nothing to complain about. Nothing. Okay, so maybe if I went back and read it with a critical eye, I could find something to nitpick about (like the lack of strong sensory details in some areas), but I'll still love the story. That will never change.

Overall: 5/5 stars
I could go on and on about this book for a long time. What I really want is for everyone to pick this up and talk about it with me. Let's gush together! Fun fact- I'm an Erudite. Which is kind of shameful if you read the story, but I don't identify with the Erudite movement (you'll know what I mean once you read the book). I'm just kind of drawn to the Erudite Manifesto. Plenty of online quizzes have sorted me as Erudite. 



******

The Way I Imagined It:

When I read the books, I already knew who played the main characters because of the movie trailers. They were what I imagined as I read the books (I was surprised to find that Tris had blonde hair, because the actress in the movie doesn't really).  Anyway, can we talk about how perfect Theo James is as Four? Despite the fact he doesn't have blue eyes, I thought he was the perfect image of book-version Four. And I've not seen the movie yet, just commercials, but from what I can tell, Shailene Woodley is a pretty good Tris. Although, she should have been shorter, or Theo should have been taller. Some details about their physical dynamics weren't quite true to the book, but now I'm just being fastidious. 

So long story short, I imagined most of the characters like their movie counterparts. I had no idea what Eric looked like, though. I hadn't seen him in the commercials. In the book, he's described as- "tall with long dark colored hair in dread-locks and has numerous piercings. He has dull gray color eyes which appears cold and a loud and long evil laugh." 


Now, based on that description, I imagined this guy with some piercings (on the left). A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN THIS GUY WITH SHORT BLONDE HAIR AND ONLY TWO PIERCINGS (on the right). 


Favorite Quote: 
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.”

Soundtrack: 
I know a lot of people are probably tired of this song, but it totally reminded me of Tris and her situation with the Dauntless faction. Seriously, though, look at the lyrics! 

I knew you were
You were gonna come to me
And here you are
But you better choose carefully
‘Cause I, I’m capable of anything
Of anything and everything

This is like Dauntless knowing that Tris is going to choose them. And the Dauntless
are fearless. They are capable of anything and everything. 
---
Make me your Aphrodite
Make me your one and only
But don’t make me your enemy, your enemy, your enemy

They want Tris to love her new faction. It's now her home. They are now her people. She has to forget everything from before and form a connection with their community. If she doesn't conform to their ways... she'll regret it. 
---
So you wanna play with magic
Boy, you should know what you're falling for
Baby do you dare to do this?
Cause I’m coming at you like a dark horse
Are you ready for, ready for
A perfect storm, perfect storm
Cause once you’re mine, once you’re mine
There’s no going back

Tris has always admired the Dauntless, how they are fearless, brave, and they do daring things. Their life tempts her, like magic. She gets the chance to be a Dauntless. She's afraid. Would she fit in there? Could she really be a part of them? She gets there, and she can't turn back. She fits in the best she can. She ends up loving the thrill of the day to day life. She's a good Dauntless. But then the story progresses, plots twists, mysteries unveil themselves, dangers and threats beat down around her and she can't get out. She can't leave. She is now their's, and there is no going back. 



You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Another Divergent fan! Awesome! (Although I suppose I should have gathered that from the fact that you said you were in Erudite before...my brain has a delayed response sometimes :P). My ideal faction is Amity, although, if you've read Insurgent, I'm more keen on being Divergent...And they get better with Erudite by showing that not everyone is evil and like the Slytherin house in Harry Potter. Anyway, yeah, the book is awesome. I just thought I'd comment because I always love finding someone who shares my fandom! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ideal faction is Amity too :) But I kind of fit in Erudite xD So I think I'm a little bit of both. Funny that you compare Erudite to Slytherin... BECAUSE I'M THAT TOO! Haha xD But you are so right. The book is awesome, and I need to get my act together and read the rest of the series ASAP (but I'm kind of putting it off because I know a great terrible befalls Tris in the last book). Thank you for commenting :) It's always encouraging to get feedback.

      Delete
  2. Funny thing is, though I'm not a physical or athletic person at all, most of the faction tests I've taken have put me in Dauntless (or Erudite). And, any way, I always really liked how Dauntless "believes in ordinary acts of bravery". Any way, great review. I haven't read Divergent yet but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete