Fangirl Review

Author: Rainbow Rowell Publishing Date: September 10th, 2013 Genre: Young adult, contemporary, romance Page Count: 445 FIN...




Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publishing Date: September 10th, 2013
Genre: Young adult, contemporary, romance
Page Count: 445

FIND IT ELSEWHERE
Goodreads - Barnes and Noble - Amazon

A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love. Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan... But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to. Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

REVIEW

What I loved:
There were some pretty great one-liners that made me smile. I liked the idea about a girl going off to college, being socially awkward and obsessed with a fandom. I can relate to that. 
I thought Levi was cute. He charmed me. Like really charmed me. Like... I want to kiss his chin. 
I also loved the character Reagan. She was abrasive, and not quite a BEST friend. She never really got close with Cath... which I oddly liked. It was different. 
And Arthur was one of my favorites too. He was quirky, and present in his children's life. 
Oh! And I liked how Cath and Wren's names fit together. 

What I hated:
The thinly (okay, less than thin) veiled Harry Potter rip off. Cath is obsessed with this fictional world that obviously parodies Harry Potter.  The author probably did this for copyright issues... but then she went and mentioned Harry Potter. So  Harry Potter and this Simon Snow character existed in the same world and that didn't really make sense to me. 
The constant excerpts from the fake book, and from Cath's fanfiction. Those reflected what was about to happen in Cath's life. Personally, I didn't care for the excerpts from the fanfiction/Simon Snow world. They were boring, because I didn't feel connected to them. They didn't seem necessary. I mostly skipped them. 
Cath's stubbornness to not see things as her teacher saw them, and just her overall attitude towards her education. Her teacher asked for an original story. SPOILER TIME (highlight the blacked out text if you seek the spoils)-  Cath gave her teacher fanfiction. Cath got a bad grade because of plagiarism. CATH REFUSED TO ACCEPT HER MISTAKE! AND THEN SHE REFUSED TO DO A BIG PROJECT FOR HER CLASS, AND EVEN WHEN THE TEACHER GAVE HER AN ENTIRE SEMESTER TO MAKE UP THE PROJECT, SHE WASN'T THANKFUL! SHE WAS WHINY AND UNGRATEFUL AND JUST... frustrating. 
There were many other things that I loved and hated about this book. Overall, the story didn't wow me as much as I thought it would.
I suggest you give this book a chance, despite the annoying parts. Because I did like it. The story was cute and entertaining. I bought the book and will go back and read my favorite parts :) 
But if you're easily annoyed by whiny characters and little actual plot or character growth, then I suggest you don't even touch this.
******

The Way I Imagined It:
I know that Reagan was a red head, but I kind of imagined her as Detective Rosa Diaz from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. She's super intense and sarcastic.




The entire book, I couldn't get Jack Gleeson out of my head. The way that Levi was described, and even his picture on the front of the cover, made me think of this Irish sweety who plays wicked Joffrey from Game of Thrones. 










You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Great review SJ! I can't wait to read your next post. I haven't actually read Fangirl yet but, being a fanfiction enthusiast (and writer) it seems like it'd be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love fanfiction too, and I write xD The book is a fun read :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything you said. Cath was whiny and a little ungrateful, but the other characters were all fantastic. And I think the Harry Potter reference threw everyone off. It made no sense because Simon Snow was obviously Harry Potter, like she didn't even try to make it discrete. And speaking of Simon Snow, I skipped those parts too. They were so boring. But overall, it was a pretty good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! A lot of people love this story, and I was afraid I might have been too harsh in my review. I'm glad you agree with me though :)

      Delete