Matched Review

Author: Ally Condie Published: November 30th, 2010 Series: Matched #1 Genre: young adult, dystopia, science fiction, fantasy,...




Author: Ally Condie

Published: November 30th, 2010
Series: Matched #1
Genre: young adult, dystopia, science fiction, fantasy, romance
Page Count: 369

FIND IT ELSEWHERE
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes and Noble

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.




I LOVE THIS STORY! For once, I actually own the book too. Look. Looky at this. Ally Condie was hosting a contest on Twitter, and I entered, and I won. She is such a sweet woman. She signed a copy and sent it to me. 



NOW ON TO THE REVIEW!



What I loved:
Whenever I read a Dystopian novel, there generally seems to be an aggressive feeling to it. Or, at least, more of a rebellion. The characters seem to already feel opposition towards their government or resentment, and then halfway through the story, there are elements that lead to an uprising by the end of the first book. Do you know what I'm talking about? A typical Dystopian novel is more gritty to me. 
Not Matched. And I loved that. Okay, so the story does turn rebellious at the end, but for the most of the story, I got to see the world how it would normally be for Cassia and her friends. And then with them, I began to crave revolution. 
Matched came across as more realistic to me... as realistic as a Dystopian world can be. I mean, people raised for generations in such a controlled environment usually don't know that they live that way. It's normal to them. I loved how Condie wrote her characters just living their day to day life, not realizing they were puppets for the government. 
To top of the beautifully realistic reactions of the characters, I loved Condie's details. I could see and feel everything. 
There is a love triangle, but it wasn't annoying. It wasn't "instalove". Cassia grew up with a guy as her best friend. She is matched with him. She is supposed to marry him. She doesn't know how to feel about that. She knows that she could fall in love with him, but it doesn't feel right. He's her friend. He loves her as a sister. Their relationship just isn't of the romantic kind. They try to be in love. They genuinely try, but it doesn't work. They are so solidly friends. I saw it, and felt it, and believed it. 
Then Ky comes into the picture, and I understand why Cassia is so interested in him. She doesn't fall in love with him right away. It gradually happens, like it would in the real world. Her interest slowly morphs into love somewhere along their story. And the whole time I read this, I fell in love with every single character. It's not often that I get to do that. 
Then, it's all ripped away. I teared up towards the end, and felt myself begin to hate the government right along with Cassia.
I also loved the poetry (and I am not the type of girl who loves poetry)! I have the poetry piece that most of the Matched plot is crafted around in my "about me" section on twitter. Just look at how beautiful this piece is: Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


What I hated:
Okay so this isn't what I hated, but there are some things that other people might not like... for example the world that Ally Condie crafted isn't original. I mean, she didn't steal it from anybody, but it's a world that's been thought up before. And... well, some people have described the love interests as cliche and "already done". For example, Casia's best friend is loyal and goofy, and her true love is the quiet, emo type that quotes a lot of poetry. People who have read this story seem to think that the characters fall flat. They have no personality. I suppose they are right, but one has to take into consideration that they live in a world where everyone wears the same thing, they all have to choose from certain jobs, and they get very little wiggle room. There's hardly a chance to be a strong personality. I haven't read the second or third book, so maybe the characters are still flat. For now, I think it's okay to have not-so-interesting characters, because they've lived not-so-interesting lives. My hope is that they will grow in the future books and take on their own, distinct personalities. 
READ THIS BOOK! If you're a romantic who likes Dystopian, you'll like this quick read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments