Amy & Roger's Epic Detour Review

Author: Morgan Matson Publishing Date: May 4th, 2010 Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to mo...

Author: Morgan Matson
Publishing Date: May 4th, 2010




Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.






What I liked:
*sings* I LIKED IT ALL! HEY-YA! I LIKED IT ALL! *guitar solo*

Where do I even begin? All the fast food eating? The driving? Details? Wording? Setting? Realistic aspect of the whole thing? The part where Amy decapitates a leafy moose? The part where a guy rides up on a lawn mower like some sort of redneck prince charming and offers Amy a lift? The part where Roger shoves Amy through a hospital window? Or where Amy and Roger have to pretend to be a married couple? Or when they sock slide through Walmart? The part where they talk about music all the time? Or the part where they play twenty questions? Or the part where Amy tries new foods?

Basically, this story is a great adventure and all the original plans end up being foiled, and I laughed a lot and cried.

Amy's family is scattered across America. Her dad is dead. She is a lump living on a couch and stewing in her depression. And her beautiful red hair is falling out.

Amy's mom is in Connecticut getting their new life in order. It's now time for Amy to join her, and bring the car. Amy refuses to drive. Last time she got behind the wheel... well, all hell broke loose and destroyed their family. SO! Mrs. Amy's Mom gets her friend's son, Roger, who is two years older, to drive Amy across the country.

Amy used to play with this guy in the cul-de-sac outside her house, but she hasn't seen him in about ten years. Roger shows up, and I just love the author's description of him. And I love Amy's reaction. "He was at least a head taller than [his mom], and ducked a little bit to hug her... ...The guy coming toward me was shockingly good-looking. He had broad shoulders, light brown hair, dark eyes, and he was already smiling at me." Somewhere later on, it's reveled that Roger also has freckles *swoon*. Roger, oblivious of his good looks, reaches his hand out to shake Amy's in greeting. Amy just stares at him like an awkward, self-conscious, old jean and ratty t-shirt wearing freak. I, uh, relate to that.

I love, love, love, the author's wording. She nails things right on the head. I can completely relate to Amy and how she reacts to certain situations. Like, when Amy and Roger have to sleep in close quarters, and this happens, "Roger sighed deeply, then tucked his arms behind his head. I took in the gun show for a moment, then looked fixedly up at the ceiling." Or when Roger introduces Amy as a friend to somebody. Amy has a teeny crush on Roger, like any person would. I love her reaction to being called a friend, "I felt myself deflate a little after he said that. I stared out the window and tried not to be ridiculous. I was a friend. I should be glad I'd accomplished that, not to be inexplicably disappointed that he'd identified me correctly." That is so funny to me! Hehe...

And you know how in previous reviews I talked about my preferred type of romance? I like slow. I like things to build. I don't like things to be rushed. This story is a perfect example of my kind of romance. And it's also a great example of good pacing and excellent writing.

The characters in this book are outstanding. Amy and Roger travel across country. They come in contact with a lot of people, yet, Morgan Matson managed to make each and every one an individual worth loving and impossible to forget. Each character was essential too. They weren't pointless side characters, but instead, they actually had personalities, and their interactions with Amy helped show us a little more of who she is.

I loved the character Bron. She is beautiful and overflowing with fashion sense and charisma. And I loved Walcott. In the brief chapter that he existed, I fell in love with him. He likes onion rings, family, and is just a sweet good ol' boy. Lucian was cool too, and adorable. I mean, it's kind of hard not to like a guy who trims the hedges to look like animals and he's not a weirdo. He's just nice. And quirky. And rich.

Roger is officially on my boyfriend list. He's obsessed with explorers, and yet... he is a terrible navigator, which I find endearing (Amy, on the other hand, is great at reading a map). Roger also likes a lot of obscure music. He's nice, and isn't overbearing. But once you get him talking about certain movies, he won't shut up. He has to retell the movie in it's entirety, and discuss why it's awesome. God bless, Roger and his glasses wearing, Star Trek referencing self.

And the romance is really epic, so pick up this book and fall victim to the cuteness.


What I hated:
I didn't hate anything, just a few things confused me or mildly disappointed me. Like the fact that Amy loves musicals, they are on a road trip, in a car 24/7 listening to music... and not once is Grease Lightning mentioned. Talk about a wasted opportunity.

Also, the whole "yep" thing. Amy is like, "God, why do I keep saying yep all the time like some sort of podunk cow wrangler?" I have never associated the word "yep" with cowboys in my life. I don't get it. I'm confused.

I would have liked a little more Hadley face time. That is the only legitimate annoyance I have with this book. A big deal is made out of Hadley, and then I hardly get to see her. Everybody has an opinion about Hadley in the story. I understand why everyone hated her. Still, though, I would have liked to actually have first hand evidence.



Overall: 5/5
Got to the last page and whispered in protest, "No." I didn't want this story to end. Roger is right- Goodbye's suck. So I guess I'll just have to buy the book and never part with it ever. I LOVE THIS STORY.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love the way you set up your reviews! I need to read more contemporary books. This one is high up on my TBR!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And hope you enjoy the story <3

      Delete