Her Dark Curiosity Review

Author: Megan Shepherd Publishing Date: July 28th, 2015 Series: The Madman's Daughter #2 To defeat the darkness, she mu...

Author: Megan Shepherd
Publishing Date: July 28th, 2015
Series: The Madman's Daughter #2




To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.
As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again.
As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.
With inspiration from Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this is a tantalizing mystery about the hidden natures of those we love and how far we’ll go to save them from themselves.
Warning: Once again, this is filled with spoilers, because I feel like a book that has earned my loathing deserves a detailed explanation.

What I liked: 
Honest to God, if I had read this book first, I would've given up halfway through the story and had nothing but bad words for the entire series. But The Madman's Daughter came first. I loved that book. The memory of that wonderful first kept me holding on through this atrocious second.
True to her writing style, Megan Shepherd wielded some amazing, haunting details throughout this story. She has such an amazing way around words that makes me fall in love with her books. This story had mystery, explored vivisection and science. The underlining plot weaved its way through Victorian London in such a beautiful way that at times, I wanted to take notes. It is a shame that Shepherd's super powers stop at details. The love triangle and horrible characters fog over the greatness this book could have become.


What I hated:
I read a review that said- "Shepherd's writing-style is wasted on a book filled with irritating characters and a disgusting love-triangle." And yeah, that basically sums up with a neat little bow everything I hated about this story. Megan Shepherd knows how to create a clear, fascinating world, and really shows the reader what's going on. I felt like I was in the book... but I hated the characters sometimes, and I most definitely despised that horrendous love-triangle.

Now let me give you some explanations:

Juliet turned into a whiny character. Some of her attitude makes sense seeing as she's an orphan without a good social standing in Victorian London where society made a big deal out of everything. And then some of her attitude just doesn't make sense. A nice, old doctor, who is like a grandpa figure, takes her in. He gets her back on social graces. He buys her clothing and takes care of her. He gives her all the material to live a happy life, and while Juliet is grateful, she doesn't jump at the opportunity to outwardly thank this kind old man. That really saddened me. And Juliet also had a really good friend who had stuck by her in her time of prosperity and ruin. This good friend would do anything for Juliet and trusted her with her life, yet Juliet couldn't be bothered to give this girl the time of day sometimes. The way Juliet treated people made me want to slap her. People would give her the world and her basic response was, "Yeah, okay, thanks, I guess..."

But Juliet's annoying attitude really begins to solidify when the whole love triangle thing is brought around. The first time I wanted to put the book down was when Edward and Juliet meet again. She is suspicious of him. He is obviously still in love with her. A few chapters later, after they are moderately reacquainted, a horrifying scene happens that I'm still not quite sure how it got past the editors. WHO thought this scene was a good idea? WHO thought that people would be remotely okay with this?

Edward's beasty counterpart (like in Doctor Jekyll and Mr.  Hyde, Edward has a beast burst from him every now, and then that beast likes to wreak havoc on the city and murder lots of people) has just butchered some guy. He comes back to Juliet's little hideaway/rented apartment on the poor side of London. It's late. The fire is burning. Edward comes stumbling into the little room covered in his murder victim's blood, and he looks terrified and he regrets killing this guy, because HE didn't actually do it, the beast did, and he feels horrible. Honestly, my heart did go out to the guy. He has no control over the monster. The monster is growing stronger.

I still cannot believe how Juliet reacted. I just... I'm fuming over this, and half gagging, and on the verge of screaming. Juliet sees that there is something very wrong and dangerous about Edward. So guess what? *cue Berry White music* They get it on! Boom chica wow wow!

Yeah! You heard read me correctly! Juliet is still in love with Montgomery and distraught over the fact that he left her. Juliet still wants Montgomery. Juliet, figures, to hell with sense and logic, Edward is the best way to forget about her pain, loneliness and longing for Montgomery. They have sex.

Let me remind you all that in the first book, I actually wanted Edward and Juliet to be a couple. I shipped it so hard. I still sort of shipped it throughout this book too. So the fact that they have sex doesn't really bother me. I would have actually been quite ecstatic under different circumstances.

But I would like to bring back to everyone's attention that when Juliet and Edward fall into a passionate night of angst filled romance... EDWARD IS STILL COVERED IN HIS MURDER VICTIM'S BLOOD! HE IS DRENCHED IN SOME GUY'S FRESHLY MURDERED GUTS! THIS DEAD MAN'S BLOOD IS GETTING CAKED ON EVERYTHING! They are doing the DO and Juliet is now covered in some other guys SPILLED BLOOD! The man that she is voluntarily HAVING SEX WITH JUST MURDERED SOME GUY NOT HALF AN HOUR AGO LIKE A BARBARIAN AND NOW THEY ARE ROLLING IN THE CARNAGE!

Next morning, Edward is all goofy, shy, and cute and so in love with Juliet. Juliet is like, "Yeah don't talk to me ever again. You're a monster." She instigated the sex, and then she made Edward feel like dejected shit for it (sorry for the language). So now I'm grossed out and angry.

And then Montgomery conveniently pops up a few days later. Fantastic. Montgomery obviously wants to kill Edward because Edward is a monster, and he also had a little nooky with Monty's girl while saturated in some hombre's lifeblood.

So that is just a few of the reasons why I found the love triangle to be horrifying and disgusting.

I also hated Juliet's inability to make up her mind. Her train of thought throughout most of the story is- "Kill Edward? Don't kill Edward... He must die, he did such awful things! BUT HE MUSN'T DIE! HE IS JUST A HUMAN WHO I CAN SORT OF KIND OF RELATE TO! ...He must die. No. Wait. He can't. It's not right." But then a few days later she slaughters some bad men obsessed with science and ruling the world who have yet to execute their diabolical plan. That is on the moral up and up apparently. But killing Edward who has killed so many is a big no no.


For the love of God, at the end of the book, Edward (who is 99.9% rage monster) is dying due to reasons and they have the chance to just let him die because he's already half dead, but NOOOOO Juliet must save him.

Overall: 3/5 
This book deserves a 2 rating, but I'm attached to the overall series and it's writer, so I'm being generous in giving it a 3.
The good bits in Her Dark Curiosity coupled with the great first story come together and outweigh the horrible characters just enough to make me want to pick up the third book. Also, I liked the ending, so that's a win.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have the Madman's Daughter and I will definitely read that soon. I have seen a ton of bad reviews for this one though. Definitely not picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up loving the Madman's Daughter, I suggest that you do pick this one up xD It does get a lot of bad reviews, but there are still some things to love about it.

      Delete