Insurgent Review

Author: Veronica Roth Publishing Date: May 1st, 2012 Series: Divergent #2 One choice can transform you—or it can destroy y...

Author: Veronica Roth
Publishing Date: May 1st, 2012
Series: Divergent #2




One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


I'm not even going to lie. This book was good, but there were a few things that made me want to throw the thing against a wall. Now, just because I wanted to beat the book into something slightly more happy, does NOT mean the story wasn't good. I just felt enraged while reading certain things because I was so into what happened to the characters.

Warning: This thing is riddled with spoilers.

What I loved: 
Like the first book, there was a lot to love. The action, the characters, the emotions that Roth pulled out of me word by word. It was all so amazing.

The mystery revolving around the big secret/ the REAL reason the Erudite waged war on all the factions was so intriguing. I just HAD to find out. Let me just say that the ending of Insurgent left me with chills and a smile. The grand reveal did not disappoint. It is oh so good.

There is a scene where Christina and Tris are awaiting their fates at the Erudite compound. This scene is full of sadness, you know? They fear they're going to be put to death by their friends (long story... literally a novel xD ba-dum-tis). And you know what Tris and Christina do? They laugh. Christina is like, "So what do you think they're going to do to us?" Tris, "Honestly?" Christina, "I don't think I can handle honesty right now." Tris, "Well, I honestly think they're going to make us eat lobs of cake and then take a long nap." Christina laughs and then they just lean against each other and wait for the storm to pass. THAT my friends is a love that I can believe. Christina HATES Tris at the beginning of the book because of the sad thing that happens in Divergent. Christina gets past that hate. She forgives. She doesn't hold Tris' actions over her head. Then they move on together and are on solid terms and they laugh through the pain.

And that twist concerning Peter. I liked that. Read the book to find out what it is. I certainly wasn't expecting him to do any of that, and it was actually kind of brilliant of him.

What I hated: 
I spent about 50% of this book wondering when Tobias and Tris would stop being inconsiderate assholes. That was my underlying impression. There were obvious reasons for them behaving like they did most of the time. I understood those reasons. Those reasons were realistic. Their personalities drove them to do certain hurtful acts. Okay? Okay. I'm chill. I get all of that.

But seriously, overall, my shipper heart was breaking. I just wanted them to stop being big babies and just BE THERE FOR EACH OTHER AND STOP WITH THE DRAMA EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT YOU TRIS OR YOU TOBIAS MAYBE YOU'RE BOTH HURTING AND INSTEAD OF ARGUING YOU SHOULD JUST HUG AND HASH OUT YOUR THOUGHTS AND KEEP CALM AND MOVE ON. Then again, if they had kept calm and moved on, a huge chunk of the plot would've been missing. As a writer, I understand why the author wrote her characters the way she did. As a reader, I want to bonk Roth over the head with this story and tell her to NOT.

A lot of drama happens. There are multiple occasions that keep hacking away at Tris and Tobias's fragile relationship. They are barely holding on to each other anymore. I mean, they love each other, but they are also so frustrated, and they don't know how to communicate. I felt just as angry as both of them.

AND THEN! Tris goes to the Erudite headquarters and turns herself in. She sacrifices herself, and I totally understand why. I mean, she doesn't want anyone else to die. So much innocence has been lost, and Tris wants to put a stop to that. On top of her need to protect the masses, she is also dying under the weight of her guilt. Her parents are dead. She killed one of her best friends. Her sins and the sins of others are so heavy, the world is so destructive that she cannot breathe anymore. I want to cry just thinking about all the misery she felt (which was a thousand times worse because Tobias refuses to comfort her).

She just wants it all to end. She wants those she loves to go on and be happy. They will get over her someday. I understand that. What I do not understand, is why Tobias thought it'd be okay to follow her to Erudite and get himself caught. Tris loves him the most. Now she has his death on her hands too. This action of Tobias' is so completely inconsiderate. It's just another straw that's going to break Tris' back! HOW COULD HE BE SO DUMB! If he truly didn't want her to die or suffer, he should have pulled the Dauntless together and marched on Erudite. He should have rescued her. NOT ADD MORE TO HER SUFFERING!

I just. I really disliked Tobias at this point in the book.

But fear not! Because a few chapters later, the tides turn and more detailed explanations are made. My faith in Tobias is slightly restored! His reasons for coming to Erudite make sense as the book progresses, but that doesn't take away the fact that he told Tris that he basically came to die. I mean, that really cut her to her very core. It was just plain cruel.

AFTER ALL THAT DRAMA! there is another scene where Tobias allows Tris to be lead to her execution, because once again, he doubts her. There are a lot of instances where Tobias annoys me, and Tris really sums it up when she tells him, "I can't believe your love is really that feeble." Okay, yes, Tobias is allowed to have some trust issues, but Tris keeps proving to him time and time again that she is strong and smart and faithful. She may not know fully what she is doing, but she isn't dumb. She has legitimate reasons for her actions. And all Tobias does is whine about how he can't trust her because she didn't tell him about her suffering. I mean, I kind of hated him in the story. Tris is suffering, and Tobias makes it all about himself.

Tris and Tobias aside, let's talk about other stuff. Like, say... Caleb. Actually, scratch that. I won't go into the details about Caleb's chicanery. I'll leave you to be shocked just as I was.

Oh and one of my favorite characters died. A delightful latino boy with a wonderful vocabulary and mad unintentional comedic skills. He was a joy, the whoppin twoish chapters he lived through.

Overall: 4/5 
I gave another frustrating story a 5/5 rating, so let me explain why this gets one less- because Tobias was a jerkhole 75% of the time, and I didn't enjoy that.
In the end, Insurgent made me ship the platonic love of Christina and Tris, and made me want to punch Tobias so hard in the face that he actually becomes a descent guy with enough sense of mind to get the hell over himself. DESPITE TOBIAS' SOMETIMES ANNOYING ACTIONS, this story is really amazing. I highly recommend you read it and get just as mad at Tobias as I was. It's worth it. I quite despised him in this story, but not so much that I hate him. He's still one of my favorites. He just needs to pull his head out of his butt.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Finally! Someone else who understands! :D Haha, but seriously, I HATED Tris and Tobias fighting all the time! Yeah, yeah, I know, I ship them like crazy, it's what fangirls do, but seriously! And Tobias getting on Tris for wanting to sacrifice yourself? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, FOUR! DON'T MAKE ME HATE YOU!

    Okay, okay, I'm okay now...But seriously, this post made me so happy. Because, while Insurgent was awesome, it wasn't Divergent. And one of the reasons why was because of Tris and Four arguing all the freaking time! YOU TWO ARE IN LOVE AND I SHIP YOU! START ACTING LIKE IT!!!

    Ahem, sorry, got a little carried away again...I'm loving how I'm finding more about you through your book reviews. You love Divergent, just like I do, and goodness knows how many other fandoms I'm in. Let's be fangirl friends *virtiual hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah THANK GOD YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY! I was so afraid I might offend somebody xD but I'm glad that the general response people had towards Tobias matches mine.

      AND YES! LET'S BE FANGIRL FRIENDS *hug*

      Delete