The Madman's Daughter Review

Author: Megan Shepherd Publishing Date: January 29th, 2013 Series: The Madman's Daughter #1 Sixteen-year-old Juliet More...

Author: Megan Shepherd
Publishing Date: January 29th, 2013
Series: The Madman's Daughter #1




Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.
Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.
Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.

What I loved:
Sorry this review isn't very review-y. It's been a long time since I read the book, and I'm trying to put into words everything I loved. I just remember finishing the story and staring at it in awe. This book is everything
It completely floored me. It was full of action, and amazing imagery and gory details and the girl wasn't a coward or whiny. You know? She was tough and got stuff done without coming across as too brutish. Shepherd wrote a lady with a strong backbone, and I love that. The story, along with the rest of the series, are based on classics (Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Island of Doctor Moreau) that I just adore . 
Something else I loved about the book was how it was set in the Victorian time period. The book starts off in a total Sherlock-Holmes-like setting, grimy London. And then the rest of the story takes place on an island. I don't know... I just liked that the author showed a Victorian woman in a setting other than a parlor. It was pretty cool. 

Juliet was also utterly brilliant. Not only did she have the sense to defend herself in dangerous situations, but she grasped the concept of medical science. She didn't just get it either. She craved to learn more. The woman was seriously complex, and I think more characters should be like that. 
The mystery in this story pulled me along too. Towards the middle, it began to drag a little, but for the most part, every page was utterly riveting. I mean, there was Edward. What was his story? Who was he? I had to keep reading to find out! AND WHAT WAS UP WITH THE DEFORMED PEOPLE? And was her father really crazy? Didn't he love her? What about Montgomery? What was his role in all the terrible experiments? 

AND THAT ENDING! After everything resolved itself, I figured the loving couple would sail off into the sunset, right? Right? All I will say, without giving too many spoilers, is that I did NOT expect that ending. That was one of the cruelest cliffhangers. I mean, Juliet was in the boat! Everything was packed up and ready to go. All the guy had to do was get in with her and float away to their happily ever after... but did he? Well, I'm not going to tell you. Pick up the book and find out for yourself.


What I hated:
I'm not going to lie. There is a major love triangle in this book, and at times the love triangle is unnecessary and annoying beyond all darn tootin get out. And as always, my choice of which guy Juliet should get with was not her choice. Which pisses me off, because obviously the character should love who I love. I know what's best. 

Juliet likes this one guy, and he likes her. Things are a little "will they won't they" for a bit, I liked them and expected some romance and was actually rooting for them... and then 

BAM BAM OH HOT DAMN THEY ARE MAKING OUT IN THE STABLES AND THE CORSET IS FLYING AND STOCKINGS ARE SLIDING DOWN! 

Cool your beans hot stuff! Stop pawing at each other while the world is falling apart right outside! What bothered me wasn't that they did it, but when. This scene happened at an illogical part in the book. Half of me liked the scene, the other half wanted me to scream at the characters about getting their priorities in order. 


Overall: 5/5 
This is one of those stories I had heard nothing about, stumbled upon it and fell in love with it all on my own without any previously formed opinions based on what others had to say. There was no hype for this story. I was just free to love it. If you love Mary Shelly, gothic romance, mystery, strong female characters and the Victorian time period. Pick this up.

I loved it so much that I bought it, and I got the sequel too. I'll be reviewing that soon! I have less happy things to say about that one... Megan kind of dropped the ball as far as the sequel goes. There was one scene in particular that had me shuddering in disgust. 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Is it weird that, in Victorian novels, I sort of understand why the characters immediately try to hook up sometimes? I mean, their was so sexual repression back then and teens have raging hormones.

    Ahem, any way. Excellent review. I totally know what you mean when you said. "Obviously the character should love who I love. I know what's best." We've all been there when we just want to scream at the characters and go "No! Don't pick that guy! Pick the other guy! He's your soulmate you fool!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "He's your soul mate you fool!" LOVE IT xD

      And I do understand the raging hormones thing. It's just... people were a whole lot more PROPER then, right? You'd think that a lady who doesn't have a rebellious or promiscuous streak would hold on to her "maidenhood" a little tighter because that's what she was raised to do. I just... I dunno xD it just didn't seem to fit the character's personality at all, so I guess that's why I was taken off guard. I was expecting the tension to last a longer and then the scene to play out differently.

      There might be nothing wrong with that scene at all. Maybe my expectations just made it awful in my mind xD You'll have to read the book and give me your opinion.

      Delete
    2. Honestly, SJ, I have yelled "he's your soulmate, you fool!" out loud more than a few times.

      And I will read the book! It sounds like a fantastic read! And I can't really judge the scene in question until I know what's really going one.

      Delete
    3. xD I can't wait to you read it! It's been a while since I have. I might be remembering that whole scene totally wrong xD that'll be embarrassing. But anyways, YES! Judge the book for yourself :)

      Delete