Shadow and Bone Review

Author: Leigh Bardugo Publishing Date: June 5th 2012 Series: The Grisha #1 Genre: Fantasy, young adult, romance Alina, a pal...

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publishing Date: June 5th 2012
Series: The Grisha #1
Genre: Fantasy, young adult, romance






Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha.
The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.
Glorious. Epic. Addictive.

I cannot believe it took me this long to read this book *Screaming* 


What I Liked:

That cover. Bless.

So let me sum it up for you nice and sweet with a little arithmetic. Russia + Legends of Old +  Richard Armitage + The Princess Diaries = Shadow and Bone. This story is potentially one of the best things I have ever read. Definitely on my top 10 YA book list. It's pure gold. And I'll explain that arithmetic in a bit!

What I absolutely loved about this story is that Alina is one of us. She's just a plain jane girl with a crush on that goofball of a best friend from her childhood. She's not a fighter. She doesn't stand out. She makes maps and lives in her little world, day to day, just like the rest of us. Until her and the chunk of Army she belongs to have to travel into the Unsea- a dark, treacherous place filled with winged things that creep through the night and go "SHRIEK SLASH SLASH DEATH TO ALL". They're like huge, rabid, hairless, flying, carnivorous squirrels. 

When her dear friend is about to be devoured by a winged screaming banshee, the blindingly true nature of Alisha is revealed. Suddenly, this orphaned nobody is what the world has been waiting for. Her future is so bright, she has to wear shades. And she's super confused about exactly what the world actually wants from her, and who she can trust. Like the big, shadowy, world-feared character known as The Darkling. Is he just a man under that cloak, with a good heart? Or has he lived long enough to see himself become to bad guy? IS HE OR IS HE NOT BASED OFF THE LOOKS OF RICHARD ARMITAGE?

This story has Russian elements to it. At least I think it does. The architecture and the words used, and the landscape all reminded me of Imperial Russia. The legends of the Grisha remind me of medieval mythology. The Darkling and all of his intensity reminded me of Richard Armitage and the characters he portrayed in North & South, The Hobbit, and Robin Hood. The story reminds me of Princess Diaries in the way that Alina, like Princess Mia, was just like you and me and is thrust into the royal world, and still manages to be a teenage, dorky girl with hormones and a delight in all things decadent. 


ALSO THERE WAS A BUTT LOAD OF TWISTS AND TURNS I DID NOT SEE COMING AND THE CHARACTERS WERE BEAUTIFULLY CREATED AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THEM INSTANTLY AND THE WORLD BUILDING WAS SEAMLESS (... a little confusing because of the Russian words and the rankings of the Grisha but I caught on eventually). 


What I hated: 





Favorite Quotes:
Mal, "Jaunty? I've never been jaunty. I hope never to be jaunty." Reminded me of something an Oscar Wilde character might say. 

Overall: 5/5
This book is good. So so so so good. ...I read the whole thing in one day. I don't do that. I'm a slow reader. I want this book. I NEED TO OWN IT. YOU ALL NEED TO OWN IT. 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. OH I LOVED THIS BOOK. And the rest of the series too. I can't wait to hear what you think of the other two! I know lots of series suffer from book-two-blues, but these only get better as they go along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got the sequel from the library! :) and omg thanks for telling me that. I'm really excited to read this next one, but I was worried about those book-two-blues (never heard that phrase before, but I'll be using it now xD)

      Delete
  2. First of all hi! Thank you v much for the follows (Twitter and blog). Can I first of all say that your blog has an EXCELLENT name. I wish I had though of it! (I'd probably like it even more if I'd actually *read* A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. One day, right?)

    This is a great review! I really really really REALLY want to read Shadow and Bone, and have done for quite some time. I love all things Russian (apart from, like, the terrible blood-splattered history and current day repressive government, apart from those things) and I love fantasy and just ... gah. I know this is the book for me. I need to own it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D and you are so welcome. I haven't read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn either xD probably need to seeing as my blog is named after it.

      Anyways, my review totally doesn't do this book justice. It was really phenomenal. I hope you're able to read it soon ^_^

      Delete