The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks Review

Author: Josh Lanyon  Publishing Date: December 15, 2011 Genre: Mystery/Gay His romantic weekend in ruins, shy twenty-somethin...



Author: Josh Lanyon 
Publishing Date: December 15, 2011
Genre: Mystery/Gay


His romantic weekend in ruins, shy twenty-something artist Perry Foster learns that things can always get worse when he returns home from San Francisco to find a dead body in his bathtub. A dead body in a very ugly sportscoat -- and matching socks. The dead man is a stranger to Perry, but that's not much of a comfort; how did a strange dead man get in a locked flat at the isolated Alton Estate in the wilds of the "Northeast Kingdom" of Vermont? Perry turns to help from "tall, dark and hostile" former navy SEAL Nick Reno -- but is Reno all that he seems?





Rating: 5/5 WOULD recommend 

Writing Style

It was well written and gripping from the first sentence.  Josh once again excels in the detail department. His descriptions give you just enough to really picture everything but not so much that it bogs down the plot and makes you want to skim until you get to the good part. I find myself never skimming in his books-unless it's because I simply cannot wait, and want to catch some hint of what's to come!


Plot

Another thing Josh excels at-mystery.  Now, I've always been that kill-joy that calls it in the first three minutes/pages. I'm cursed with being good at solving mysteries, and so it's hard for me to find mysteries that truly grip me and keep me on the edge of my seat. Josh succeeds in providing me with mysteries I can never solve. Even when I think I've got it all figured out, my whole theory falls apart. With more plot twists than one of those fancy dancy roller coasters, this book is sure to keep you on your feet-and with your eyes glued to the pages.  It's hard to put down, as even the parts with no action are just too interesting not to read.


Characters

Oh lordie, don't get me started on the characters. First off, and most importantly, there's Perry. Dear, sweet Perry. He has just as many plot twists as the actual plot. Your first impression of him is pretty spot on as far as his personality goes, but there's so much more than just that innocent little dweeb in the first chapter. He's the type of character you want to wrap up in a blanket and feet marshmallows too, but he's not as helpless as he seems at first.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that the kid's got some spunk to him! He's adorable, relatable, and one of the main reasons why I loved this book so much. Of course then there's Nick Reno, the mysterious tall-dark-and-handsome ex-Marine. There isn't much more to Nick than you see. He's pretty easy to read, but that doesn't make him any less interesting. He certainly has his surprises too. And when you put the two together, there is no way to describe that, really, except AWWWWWWW. There are many other characters in the book-and I mean many-all of whom contribute to the plot in some sense and all of whom have their quirks.


Overall

If you want a mystery with some fluffy romance and minimal diddly do (which, by the way, is freaking ADORABLE-seriously, you'll see), then this is the book for you. It has a Clue-esque feel to it, with a romance that doesn't come out of nowhere and has realistic development and real-world issues, and the most lovable main character you ever did see. If you're new to the world of M/M fiction, this is a good place to start. It's stand-alone, not much diddly-do and the descriptions of it aren't overly detailed, so if you're a bit squeemish about that, fear not. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Happy reading!


-ACE 


Dear followers,

WE GOT A NEW AUTHOR ON OUR BLOG! Ace is one of my best friends I met in college. She is a downright delight, and plans on writing reviews and articles concerning pop culture here on the blog. So glad to have her!

~SJ



You Might Also Like

0 comments