The Wicked Will Rise Review

Author: Danielle Paige Publishing Date: March 31, 2015 Series: Dorothy Must Die #2 Genre: fantasy, young adult, retellings I...

Author: Danielle Paige
Publishing Date: March 31, 2015
Series: Dorothy Must Die #2
Genre: fantasy, young adult, retellings





In this dark, high-octane sequel to the New York Times bestselling Dorothy Must Die, Amy Gumm must do everything in her power to kill Dorothy and free Oz.To make Oz a free land again, Amy Gumm was given a mission: remove the Tin Woodman’s heart, steal the Scarecrow’s brain, take the Lion’s courage, and then Dorothy must die...But Dorothy still lives. Now the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked has vanished, and mysterious Princess Ozma might be Amy’s only ally. As Amy learns the truth about her mission, she realizes that she’s only just scratched the surface of Oz’s past—and that Kansas, the home she couldn't wait to leave behind, may also be in danger. In a place where the line between good and evil shifts with just a strong gust of wind, who can Amy trust—and who is really Wicked?

What I Liked:

Again, like in the first book, what really captured me was the premise of the story. Danielle Paige takes the magical world of Oz and presents us with an idea. What if Dorothy came back? What if she wasn't the same? What if she got so addicted to the magic, and power that came with it, that she took over Oz? What if Dorothy became some kind of twisted Dictator with an iron grip on the magic pumping through Oz, and oppressed all who dwelt in the once mighty world? What if the Wicked witches, so ugly and bad, were the good guys? Paige makes us consider this possibility, and then she brings in another girl from Kansas- Amy Gumm. Oz needs a savior and Amy, reluctantly at first, answers the call.

I so very much fell in love with the premise of this story. There was so much potential in the idea. I was excited. And though the first book, Dorothy Must Die, did not quite live up to the gritty, novel of depth and intrigue I had expected, I still had hopes for the sequel. It would be Paige's second book. Her second time diving into this world and playing with the characters. There was potential for the story to get better.

But The Wicked Will Rise did not meet my expectations. At all.


What I Hated:





I want to be as respectful as I possibly can in this review. Danielle Paige is a wonderful, kind human being, and I greatly respect her. But despite my love for her, I will be honest with this review as well. Now to put it plainly, I did not like this book. I have rated it on Goodreads with two stars, because though I did not like it, the last few pages introduced a new mystery that captured my attention. I will probably buy the next book because I STILL really want to see where Paige goes with this. 


On to what I hated- Um... everything. I could not stand Amy Gumm. The first few chapters, I was interested in her. She had this new magic she was dealing with and, even if I did not relate to her, she could have become a great character. However, she falls short. There are so many forced one liners in this story, and they make Amy sound ridiculous, like some corny anti hero in a Spaghetti Western.


Legit quote- "'It's actually pretty convenient. Everyone I want to kill, and you're all lined up in a neat little row so I can pick you off one by one. Now who wants to go first?" I couldn't help shooting daggers at BLANK. 'How about you?' I asked. 'Nah. Not worth my time.'"   At this scene, I couldn't get the image of that slimy cheese ball bad guy from Ever After who has the hots for Drew Barrymore out of my head. That is not how I want to envision Amy. That isn't how I should have seen her at all. Amy was supposed to be this strong female character with spunk and an inner, underdog-esq strength. I was supposed to root for the small town hero, but instead I found her silly. I couldn't take her seriously.

I couldn't take ANYTHING in this book seriously.



-like the wingless monkeys, especially Queen Lulu in her pink tutu, bedazzled glasses, and Dolly Parton sass and quips. Eventually I did like Lulu. She gained some depth, but not until a certain development took place in the dark woods when she was alone with Ozma and Amy. But up until that point, she was a complete joke. 

-NOX! I don't want to give spoilers, but his behavior in this book kept disappointing me, and annoys me at some point. I had my eyes rolling most of the time he interacted with Amy. He loses some of his dark, bad boy gumption. He was a flat character.


-The entire rainbow fairy world. Bright, Polychrome (I DID like her when she was serious, but that is the only redeeming quality of the rainbow scenes), and that "unicorn" OH. MY. GOD. This world was like a bizarre mix between My Little Pony and something off the new Disney Channel.


There was just so much about this book that I did not like. Plain and simple. I thought it was a funny in a "haha mocking" sort of way. I had to really dig deep to find something respectable in the entire book. The only thing that kept me reading was I wanted to find out what the Lion's tail and the Tin Man's heart would do. Then in the last few pages, The Wizard does this THING (*chanting* I WILL NOT SPOIL IT I WILL NOT SPOIL IT) and I GOT HOOKED ALL OVER AGAIN. BECAUSE OF THAT LAST CHAPTER I WILL BUY THE NEXT BOOK. I AM A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT.


Overall: 2/5
Giving this a two because despite how much it resembled a nightmare of a soap opera, I'm still interested. Barely. But I still have hopes for the third book.

You Might Also Like

0 comments