DNF || Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Author(s): Rachel Cohn & David Levithan Publishing Date: October 26th, 2010 Genre: young adult, contemporary, romance, holiday ...

Author(s): Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Publishing Date: October 26th, 2010
Genre: young adult, contemporary, romance, holiday




“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”
So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?



The book was chosen from the TBR Jar. The TBR Jar is a cookie jar full of my To Be Read list written on little slips of paper. When I need a new book to read, I fish out a piece of paper from the jar, and BEHOLD! The new book I'm going to read. Or not. There are no rules with the TBR Jar. If I'm not in the mood for what I randomly picked, then I can put it back and choose again.



What I Liked:
I have been wanting to read this for about three years now. Friend's recommended it, other bloggers loved it. I had to get a copy. Finally, I reached into my TBR Jar, and this book has fallen into my hands!

My absolute favorite thing about Dash & Lily were the quotes. The way the character's thought and spoke to each other cracked me up. Cohn and Levithan legit had me laughing out loud. But even when I wasn't laughing out loud, I still found myself falling in love with their word choices. Like, one character referred to his Amazon Wish List as his Amazonian Hope Chest. How clever and quirky is that?

"Children frighten me. I appreciate them on a cute aesthetic level, but they're very demanding and unreasonable creatures..."



What I Hated:
Good quotes aside, I found that I could not get into this story. I was stuck on it for about a week, and kept putting it down. I could only read a few pages at a time before getting bored.

I didn't like either of the characters. Dash felt too pretentious. There were scenes where he was a good, solid character, but from what I read, I just didn't like him. His dialogue reminded me of a fifty year old man, not a teenage boy. His voice felt unrealistic. And page upon page were spent with Dash quoting books, or showing how much he loved them, and knew so much about them. He was a know-it-all and that nauseated me.

Lily was too childish. I mean, I understand she was naive and innocent, but she was sixteen years old and living in New York City. Her attitude was very... seven-years-old. I couldn't relate to her at all. She sounded like my little sister, the way she dressed and screamed when she couldn't quite deal with something (it was a hysterical scream. The pinch your eyes shut and just holler until your voice gives out kind of tantrum).

I like Christmas. I like the mystery of a book of dares going back and forth between people. I like New York City, and Romantic Comedies, and cheesy stories. This book avoided insta-love too! I enjoy all of that, and yet, because of the characters, the story was flat to me. I knew who Dash was. I didn't like him. I knew who Lily was. She annoyed me. He was hipster, and she was quirky. The characters don't meet for at least half the story, and I found that I didn't care what would happen when they actually met. Didn't like them. Didn't care about their future.

This book didn't make me angry. I didn't NOT enjoy reading it. And I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time. I just didn't care...


Overall: -/-



I got about 42% into the book before giving up. Because I didn't finish it, I feel like I can't give this book an accurate rating. And despite not liking this, I'm still going to add it to my Amazonian Hope Chest. It's a good book for quotes, and I want to give it another chance in the future (because maybe the fact that I read this Christmas book in July in the SOUTH effected my mood).


Next pick out of the Jar is....




What did you think of Dash & Lily? 
What book out of your TBR pile are you reading this week? 
How long have you been wanting to read it? 
Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

0 comments