Every Soul A Star Review

Author: Wendy Mass Publishing Date: October 1st, 2008 Genre: contemporary, middle grade, romance, young adult And as streams ...

Author: Wendy Mass
Publishing Date: October 1st, 2008
Genre: contemporary, middle grade, romance, young adult






And as streams of light fan out behind the darkened sun like the wings of a butterfly, I realize that I never saw real beauty until now.
At Moon Shadow, an isolated campground, thousands have gathered to catch a glimpse of a rare and extraordinary total eclipse of the sun. It's also where three lives are about to be changed forever:
Ally likes the simple things in life--labyrinths, star-gazing, and comet-hunting. Her home, the Moon Shadow campground, is a part of who she is, and she refuses to imagine it any other way.
Popular and gorgeous (everybody says so), Bree is a future homecoming queen for sure. Bree wears her beauty like a suit of armor. But what is she trying to hide?
Overweight and awkward, Jack is used to spending a lot of time alone. But when opportunity knocks, he finds himself in situations he never would have imagined and making friends in the most unexpected situations.
Told from three distinct voices and perspectives, Wendy Mass weaves an intricate and compelling story about strangers coming together, unlikely friendships, and finding one's place in the universe.




The book was chosen from the TBR Jar. The TBR Jar is a cookie jar full of my To Be Read list written on little slips of paper. When I need a new book to read, I fish out a piece of paper from the jar, and BEHOLD! The new book I'm going to read. Or not. There are no rules with the TBR Jar. If I'm not in the mood for what I randomly picked, then I can put it back and choose again.




My Thoughts:
You know you're getting older when you start rolling your eyes at the thirteen year old's drama and thinking she's way too young to be running around in the woods with some boy- *record screeches to a halt* Kept having to remind myself that I was thirteen not that long ago (six years, WOW), and thirteen year old's are not as babyish as I now think. Once I reminded myself that yes, this is how thirteen year old's act, I was able to enjoy this book fairly well.

And let me tell you, this book was CUTE!

Bree is a brat and way too materialistic and into herself. Everyone thinks she's beautiful. Drop dead gorgeous. A friggin model. She's striving for more, for a career in modeling. She wants her big break through and right when it's potentially within her grasp... her parents drop a bomb on her.

Ally is a sweet heart- also that weird girl in school that's always obsessed with horses. Except she's the one obsessed with outer space. Also she's home schooled and lives in the boonies so I guess you wouldn't actually have ever met someone like her. Unless you are someone like her. In that case, how did you get access to the internet??

Jack's a husky kid with no confidence and almost enough step dad's to start his own basketball team. He keeps to himself. His life is kind of at a stalemate and he's failing classes. He doesn't care anymore. Good boy, but just doesn't really care. All he wants to do is draw.

Half way through the book, I was certain I'd give the story a 3 out of 5 stars. I didn't hate it, didn't love it. The book was cute and entertaining, but nothing wowed me. It was just sweet, and nothing special. But then something happened... I fell in love with the characters. I felt for them. The changes they were facing, became challenges I could relate to. I felt bad for them. This book, the story, kind of reflects the characters. They're all nothing really special, same as the book... but if you keep reading something happens. It just clicks. This story is a touching little tale about life and having to go through changes. It made me smile.

Also this book is aaaallll about stars and outer space and comets and an eclipse (that's what the whole book, even Ally's whole life is leading up to! (I swear that's not a spoiler))! And they're all out in the woods, camping, sitting in hot springs, roasting smores, and racing to get out of the rain. The author wrote the outdoors in a natural way that reminded me of all my camping trips with my family, and I loved that. Gave me HUGE nostalgic feels.

This quote- "Life is short, but it's wide." An old woman tells Bree this. She's basically telling her that it's great Bree has her life all sorted out, but it's also okay to change her mind. Life is short, but there are a vast variety of ways to live it, and you can change whenever you want. I loved that!



Overall: 4/5
This was a cute read, it made me smile, and it was exactly what I needed after reading three fantasy novels about a girl rising to power and taking down the whole governing oppressive system. I recommend this to anyone looking for something light to remind you of your childhood and refresh you from your ya fantasy/dystopian overdose.




NEXT PICK OUT OF THE JAR IS...






Have you read this story?
What book out of your TBR pile are you reading this week?
What books make you feel nostalgic for your childhood?
Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

0 comments