Red Queen Review

Author: Victoria Aveyard Published: February 10th, 2015 Series: Red Queen #1 Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance The poverty...

Author: Victoria Aveyard
Published: February 10th, 2015
Series: Red Queen #1
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance






The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?



I have a lot to say about this book. If you ask me in the comments I'll talk more thoroughly about
-romances (I just cannot go into the love triangle right now because there will surely be spoilers: I LIKED ONE GUY BUT STARTED FEELING FOR THE OTHER ONE AND THEN THE THING RUINED IT ALL AND TORE ME APART)
-plot twists
rants of poo poo head characters galore

but to save everyone's time and prevent spoilers, I'm going to keep it simple- This book was set in a dystopian world. It featured a teenage girl living in poverty and angry towards her oppressive government that sent a lot of people to a war they wanted no involvement in. Suddenly ordinary-spit-fire Girl With A Grudge is thrust into the spot light. She now has two love interests (three maybe?), and of course the weight of a revolution and special gift are on her shoulders. It's all a story we've heard before, and it took me about fifty pages to really get into it. HOWEVER, once I dedicated the time to get into the story and get over my annoyance with the plot, I really did enjoy the read. Very entertaining!


Unoriginal plot aside, my only huge beef with the story was that I didn't like Mare. She seemed so angry. It felt like her anger had a twinge of false bravado to it. She didn't sound like a person who grew up in severe poverty with a strong hatred for her government. She sounded like a character the author desperately wanted us to know was angry. Forced. After a little while though, when Mare stopped being a blazing ball of rage fire, she became more likeable to me, and I began to feel for her.

Also, I liked that Mare had earrings lined up on her ear representing her brothers. That was a cute detail.

This is a story I've heard before. It's very cliched, but the author managed to still make me care. So I liked the read, even felt for the characters, and the ending ripped my heart out.

Overall: 3.5 / 5
If I wasn't as entertained as I was, this book would have gotten a 2, but when a book sucks me in it wins major points. So! If you are just in it to be entertained, then you should pick up this book.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. The romance in Red Queen made me want to go rock in a corner in a feotal position! I loved Maven so darn much, and in the end...*sobs quietly*. I got annoyed with Mare at times, but mostly I was too busy thinking about how I wanted to give Maven a big, warm hug. Until the end, of course! Looking forward to reading the next book :)

    Ranu @ The Araliya Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT??? I had such hopes for Maven! I was starting to really ship him and Mare

      Delete