Ruin and Rising Review

Author: Leigh Bardugo Publishing Date : June 17th, 2014 Series: The Grisha #3 Genre: young adult, fantasy, romance, The ...

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publishing Date: June 17th, 2014
Series: The Grisha #3
Genre: young adult, fantasy, romance,










The capital has fallen.
The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.
Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.
Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.
Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.



I can't say too much without giving away spoilers, so this is mostly me fangirling and being vague as hell about the plot.


What I Liked:
I did it. I finally did it. For once in my life, I sat down and finished a trilogy completely and in a timely manor. Don't know if you all caught this, but I kind of suck and finishing things, SO I'M REALLY EXCITED I GOT TO THE END OF RUIN & RISING. Not like it was hard anyways. This book was so amazing. The whole series was so amazing. Nikolai (my favorite character in the series, and possibly in all of literature), says that, "Understatement is overrated." But what more can I say about this book?

I've already told you how great the characters are. Leigh Bardugo managed to make all three love interests swoon worthy, and the main character- Alina- not annoying. Bardugo practically wrote a love TETRAHEDRON, and it did not in any way make me want to stop reading the book. The side characters are to die for (literally? ...ouch).

I totally shipped David with Genya! David's guy who wouldn't look up from his notebook. His brain was always going a thousand miles a minute, figuring some new puzzle out. Genya is so incredibly beautiful you can't NOT look at her. Everyone looks at her- except David. Then the terrible awful happens, and it turns out, David was interested all along. He's just a huge nerd who'd rather solve solutions to some flawed design than jump a beautiful Grisha. But as time goes on, he notices her, and her beautiful heart, and they just- MY BABIES! I ship it!

The book was all pretty much the same as the first two. There were Grisha fighting, there were normal soldiers bearing the brunt of the kingdom's hardships, there was a hunt for one of Morozova's amplifiers, and there was the Darkling being all charmingly tortured and terrible.

HOWEVER, some new things to like about this book specifically- The plot is thickened. More about Morozova's life is revealed. We learn who The Darkling and his mother are. We learn who MAL is (I screamed when I read it. I was not expecting this development AT. ALL.).

And finally, my all time favorite thing about Ruin & Rising was the ending. It is so poetic how Bardugo deals with the love tetrahedron. She doesn't just kill off or dispose of characters to make your OTP happen. She gives these people a future. She makes it real, and her choices with the lives of the characters make absolute sense. What happens to Mal, Alina, Nikolai, and The Darkling... it hurts. But that's LIFE and Bardugo has infused her story with nothing but real life.

What I Hated:
Tamar and Nadia. I didn't hate it, hate it. I just wish it made more sense. I felt like these two characters were kind of thrown together to be the obligatory LGBT couple. Having read all of Bardugo's series, I KNOW she is great at making characters come to life, so it upset me a little that Tamar and Nadia's relationship was just there without substance. They were under cooked. There could have been more build up and development.

Overall- 5/5
Excuse me, but you need to buy the trilogy. Just get it up there on your shelves. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. AHHH I'M SO GLAD YOU liKED THIS ONE!!! I loved it. but. Well. I was mostly upset by the end because *whispers* my ship sunk. I just never liked Mal. I liked his plot twist (!!) but Nikolai was just SO MUCH MORE AWESOME AND EPIC AND JAFDLKSA he was so funny and I kept noting down like ALL his lines because they were so epically hilarious. :') NIKOLAI MA BABY. *hugs him*
    Are you going to read Six of Crows?! I'm super excited for it!! :D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on scooping up Six of Crows AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! I am absolutely obsessed with this world! UGH AND NIKOLAI IS THE BEES KNEES! HE IS MY #1 BOOK BOYFRIEND <3 <3 <3 ...did you ship Nikolai or The Darkling with Alina? Also, Mal, UGH. I liked him as a person towards the end of Ruin & Rising, but I WANTED TO BOP HIM IN THE HEAD AND THROW HIM OFF A CLIFF DURING THE FIRST AND SECOND BOOK! Mal could you grow up and stop making everything so personal!? Hmmm?

      Delete
  2. Great review! I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I love the ending and I'm just so happy that mostly everyone gets a happy end. I really, really want books centered around Nikolai. Bardugo keeps talking about it but I want it now!

    What you said about Tamar and Nadia--YES. The fact that you even acknowledge that they read as an obligatory LGBT couple is so gutsy. I'm always afraid of saying this when I read a book with an obligatory LGBT side couple (there is a lot of this happening now) because I'm afraid that I'll make people think I'm against homosexuality. When in reality I just want a well-developed couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) And which parts did you not agree with? I'd love to know what you thought!
      And omg she's considering Nikolai's story?! I hope it's about his life AFTER Ruin & Rising. I want to know his future!

      And yeah Tamar and Nadia just felt so FORCED. Genya and David were side characters with a developed romance. Hell, even Sergei and Marie had some development. But then Nadia and Tamar just HAPPENED! I had no idea either of them were gay? There was no hint or mention beforehand? They just met, Tamar showed off her mad fighting skills a little, and then they were a thing. Leigh Bardugo is such a good writer so I guess I felt a little shocked that she just threw this couple at me, and I was robbed of a good potential otp. So I guess in short- I'm not against homosexuality. I'm against poor character development xD

      Delete
  3. I read Shadow and Bone MONTHS ago, but I haven't got any further with the series. I was quite underwhelmed by the first novel, I guess... but then I read posts like these and I'm like BUT WHAT IS MAL? AND WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE THE DARKLING SO MUCH? And then I want to finish the series. Urgh. I'm so torn right now - what if I'm underwhelmed again? But I NEED TO KNOW...
    Life.
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm...well, when I read the books I had no expectations. I was just looking to be entertained, and I was. I kept reading because I had questions- do The Darkling and Alina get together, or Mal, or Nikolai. What happens to Alina? Who IS the Darkling really? What is his history; what is everyone's history? I was pulled forward by curiosity and my addiction to romance and fantasy. As much as it pains me to say, if you didn't really care for the first book, the rest will probably underwhelm you as well.

      Unless you really like dashing heroes laced with witty comebacks and an overflow of charm and charisma. If so, Nikolai might get you hooked on the series :) I suggest you try the second book. Give Nikolai a chance to woo you. If you still don't like it, then just find spoilers I guess xD

      Delete