Since You've Been Gone Review

Author: Morgan Matson Published: May 6th, 2014 Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of...

Author: Morgan Matson
Published: May 6th, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance






It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.
On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?
Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.
Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?
Kiss a stranger? Um...
Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she’ll find?
Go skinny-dipping? Wait...what?



Things I Liked:
There is so much to love about this book. The characters are WONDERFUL. Emily, our main character, has an actual family. I rarely see that in a YA novel. Her parents are in her life, and though they were slightly detached, they are still her parents and ever present and PARENTING, and also their own people with lives. Same goes for her brother- he was annoying, but in that brotherly way where you want to scream but you love them at the same time.


Frank Friggin Porter. Let me be frank, he's going straight to the top of my book boyfriend list. He is this smart, valedictorian, save the frogs, responsible guy. Emily has only known him as class president, straight laced Frank. Over the summer, she gets to know him though, and we all get to fall in love with him. Yeah he's responsible, but he's also really good at paint ball, and his truck is messy, and he loves to listen to comedians while running (he's so out of shape), and he can hold conversations using only Beatles lyrics. He's funny and a good boy. He's not that awkward nice guy. He's just genuinely wonderful. And he is flawed! Yeah he's sweet, but he's human. He gets fixated on things and forgets about the feelings of others (like poor Collins). There's just such depth to him! Ugh, just bless this book, and bless Frank Friggin Porter.

Speaking of depth-y characters. Let me talk about Collins. This guy is the funny guy. He's the comic relief. The haha side character nobody REALLY cares abut. Right? Wrong. A good half of the book I didn't pay him much attention accept to laugh, but then something happens. He's more than a joke. He has feelings, and they get hurt. And he's revealed to be a great friend. I had mad respect for Collins after reading this book.

Now about Emily- I relate to her on a huge level. She's painfully awkward when interacting with people. Relies on her friend as a crutch in social situations. She's the accessory friend, also known as the one nobody recognizes without her best friend Sloane around. She is associated with Sloane and isn't her own person. I used to be that person! For a really long time. So reading about Emily, and how she gradually bursts into the spot light warmed my heart. I was so happy for her.

The biggest thing about this book that I loved were the characters and how they interacted. Their friendships won me over. Other things I loved were- the list, country music (it's nice seeing it a something other than what people collectively hate), Gas Station James, Emily's disgusting junker car, Skinny Dipping scene (DAWN IS SO CUTE), and the friggin emotions when Emily's world falls apart. It HURT to read. I cried hard.



Things I hated:
Emily: unrealistically awkward? Sometimes I wanted to shake her like OMG JUST RESPOND TO THAT PERSON IT'S NOT THAT HARD IT WAS A YES OR NO QUESTION.

The whole Sloane and Sam relationship... and how things went down with Gideon... It's difficult to state what I hated without going into spoilers. Just, people, treat your friends better. Pay more attention to the feelings of others. Please.

Also for the past few weeks, I've been wondering why Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson has been stuck in my head.... turns out every time I read the spine of this book I'd get the tune going in my noggin. I'm so glad to finally return this book to the library and GET THAT SONG OUT OF MY HEAD.


Overall: 5/5
Buy it. If you're a shy person who's the accessory friend, pick this up and READ IT AND LOVE IT! If you love swoon worthy love interests, well then prepare to swoon. Like good side characters? Friggin read the book. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oooh! I'd love to read this book. Great review, SJ! (Awkward MC sounds awesome, and so does Frank, he sounds perfect!)

    Also -- and I may have already told you this, I can't remember, I'm sorry! -- I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award :)
    http://sparrowsflysouth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-one-lovely-blog-award-sort-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY READ THIS! :D and yes you did tell me about that nomination. Thanks again :) I'll work on mine soon.

      Delete