Monthly Classics || The Mission: Read A Book, Save A Brain

I went through a stage when I was about twelve, where I started buying all the classic books I could get my hands on. I've only rea...

I went through a stage when I was about twelve, where I started buying all the classic books I could get my hands on. I've only read a few of them. So now I own 100+ classic novels, and they're just on my shelf all beautiful and aged. And people are like, "Oh you have classics therefore you must be filled with the wisdom and pretentious-ness from within them. What's your opinion of the dire elements in Charles Dickens?" And I'm like, "...I watched The Little Dorrit and thought Matthew MacFadyen was adorable." I'm a complete fake.

Anyway, I'd like to fix that feeling of ignorance and humiliation when faced with a literary question pertaining to the tales of old! So starting in the month of November, my personal goal will be to read one classic a month. That will be twelve classics a year. One day, ONE DAY I WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT LITTLE DORRIT WAS ABOUT! ...other than the fact that Matthew MacFadyen was in the BBC Adaption.

Besides reading the books I own, I think it would just be good for me to read classics. While Young Adult novels are fun, and by no means a vapid genre, I think classics will ...make me think more? I mean, I have read classics in the past. I'm a big Jane Austen and Jules Verne fan. Those books had big words, long sentences, and were written in a period that I wasn't alive in. It caused me to engage my brain more, look up words, dig deeper to find the meaning behind the scene. I had to apply more thought to the text.

Overall, I think reading at least one classic novel a month will be good for my brain. It will increase my vocabulary. There's something of value to these stories that have stood the test of time, so I can take pride in tackling them. Literary references won't be lost on me. I will be challenged. And honestly, knowledge is power. I WANT to know what goes on in these stories. I want to understand why they are held in reverence. What makes them special?

But that's just my personal goal! What do you think? Would anyone be interested in joining my Classics Challenge? It'd be like a rather informal book club:

-Once a month, whatever day, just post your review/thoughts of a classic book of your choice. 
-Link the review back to this post
- tweet me or comment when you've reviewed a classic
-I'll promote you and comment on your review. 

baby pls

You Might Also Like

0 comments