Throne of Glass Review

Author: Sarah J. Maas Publishing Date: August 7th, 2012 Series: Throne of Glass #1 Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy After s...

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publishing Date: August 7th, 2012
Series: Throne of Glass #1
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy




After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.
Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.
Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.



Things I Liked:
I have heard SO MUCH about this book, especially with Queen of Shadows being recently published. There's just a ton of hype around this series, and I figured I should get with the program and finally see what all the fuss is about!

Hype. This book has a lot of it, and I assumed it was because there was a love triangle (which there is), and it's a fantasy novel where a girl is kick ass. These two things are probably what gave the book a lot of it's hype. In those regards, the book is nothing special. Yes, Chaol is wonderfully swoon worthy and I totally ship him with Celaena. Yes, Celaena is pretty friggin awesome in her own badass way. But what makes this book actually worth reading?



Here are just a few of the things I thought made this book stand out:

-The first chapter was one of the most gripping first chapters in any YA novel I have ever read.

-The point of view. I like seeing what each character thinks of the other. Each character is their own person with many facets that the others cannot see. Because of the third person omniscient point of view, we get to see more than just the main character's background and feelings. Names from the character's pasts are slipped in, making us wonder about their history. What else is there to these people?

-The author does this thing where she slips in little details that aren't dwelt on that much and makes the reader go "wait what?" or "...well that's a weird thing to do". It made me want to keep reading, to find out what significance was behind that seemingly unimportant detail. There's so much mystery to this and it fed my curious soul! I loved it!



- MENSTRUAL CYCLES. So many books forgo talking about the natural functions of the human body. Even a deadly assassin can't escape period cramps, and I love that.

- As it clearly states on the back (and as the hype would suggest) there are two boys who are in love with Celaena. What I love about this book is that the love interests are not the same person, or the good boy and the bad boy. They are two distinguishable individuals. One isn't blonde and the other isn't black haired. One isn't grumpy and the other easy going. It's not him vs. him. They are friends, and they are developed with good and bad traits of their own. They are well written characters (annoying characters sometimes...but that's for another time). I love this love triangle.

- Nehemia's and Celaena's friendship doesn't revolve around boys. They don't gossip about boys or fight over boys or hate boys together because a boy did something to them. They band together because they are out of place in the royal court. They have bantering conversations, and deep discussions about history and politics, and they learn languages together, and they have depth! They have to learn to trust each other, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them hurtle through life and become my number one friendSHIP.



Things I Hated:
Some places were a little dry. She just kept training. Going to her room. Training. Oh my God Dorian's handsome. She's throwing up. More training. I wanted something else. She's a great assassin. I expected that greatness. She didn't earn it in my eyes.



I saw nothing in the book that made her a great assassin. She couldn't detect poisons, she eats candy left to her by an anonymous person, she sleeps through a person sneaking into her room, and just... Celaena wasn't great at all in my eyes. Like I said, she's pretty kickass, but she can also be a dumbass. She hates on other women for no reason at all, she's catty, and basically has a baseless love for Dorian. She's attracted to him, and I get that, but their relationship beyond that makes no sense. And Chaol's attraction to her makes no sense. I would get it if she was that strong assassin with a good heart who was nice to people, but Celaena was just kind of a bitch. Yeah, I said it. And I'm a little sorry, because there were parts I loved about her, but overall she was not a great character. She was inconsistent and too hyped up.

Quotes:

     “What’s the point in having a mind if you don’t use it to make judgments?”
     “What’s the point in having a heart if you don’t use it to spare others from the harsh judgments of your mind?”

     She moaned into her pillow. “Go away. I feel like dying.”
     “No fair maiden should die alone,” he said, putting a hand on hers. “Shall I read to you in your final moments? What story would you like?”
This made me laugh so hard! She is on her period!

     There was a darkness in his eyes that felt cold and foreign, like the gaps between the stars.

Overall: 3.5/5
READ THIS BOOK. I highly recommend it! Gave it a 3.5 out of 5 because of that dry spell that I mentioned and how awful Celaena was as a human being at times. Despite that, the book is entertaining as heck!


You Might Also Like

0 comments