The Halloween Book Tag || My Lost Childhood

Okay my childhood was actually pretty great, but my parents didn't like Halloween. It was a demonic holiday, and we lived in a sketc...


Okay my childhood was actually pretty great, but my parents didn't like Halloween. It was a demonic holiday, and we lived in a sketchy place so they generally feared we'd get harmed if we walked up to stranger's houses and asked for candy. So! My Halloween's didn't really involved costumes. We made our own traditions. We "hid" our house from trick-or-treater's by turning out all the lights and putting blankets over the windows. Then we'd hunker down with our own bowls of candy (one of the main reasons we were okay with not participating in this holiday. We each got our own hoards of our favorite candy's. It was a great deal), and we watched movies all night. 

That being said, I was at a loss for what to do on the blog this Halloween. I didn't want to merely review a horror book. Luckily for me, though, the lovely Leah Bauer saved the day! She tagged me in this Halloween post and provided us with something festive. BLESS LEAH! Go check out her awesome blog. 



Favorite Horror Book
I've only just recently gotten into the horror genre, and I'm loving it. My favorite read lately is Slasher Girls and Monster Boys. It's full of scary stories for all kinds of creepy tastes. It's awesome.



Scariest Moment In A Book You've Read
There this one story in Slasher Girls and Monster Boys that is inspired by Alice in Wonderland. The author takes The March Hair and totally demonizes him. His big white ears eerily visible in the dark woods, and his white fluffy fur matted with blood will forever give me pause before stepping into the woods. 


Another wonderfully chilling moment was in The Raven Boys. It's not particularly scary, but they are in the woods and it's really quiet and they read this message that says "The Trees Speak Latin". It's not a scary thing the way I describe it. Maggie is just a wonderful author and she made the simplest thing feel so creepy. It was a beautifully written chapter.

Would you or have you ever dressed up like a book character for Halloween?
I dressed up as Dorothy Gale for a Trunk or Treat thing at my grandparents church. I won a bowl full of candy corn because I was a cute as heck four year old.  

What do you think your favorite character would dress up as for Halloween? 
I don't really have a favorite character... yikes. One character I'm obsessed with lately, he's my book boyfriend, is Nikolai Lantsov. I feel like he's just rich enough, and a big enough dork to deck himself out in an expensive batman costume. He's the kind of nerd that would hide in the shadows at a party, jump out and announce in a deep gravely voice, "I AM BATMAN!"


What is your favorite kind of horror (gore, psychological thriller, spooky)? 
I like psychological thrillers. The thing about psychological thrillers is that they stick with me. They are amazing to read or watch, and I honestly love them, but when the movie is over, and the lights are off, and I'm trying to go to sleep... I swear I hate psychological thrillers. Get out of my head. It's not cool, bro. The movie's over stop wigging me out.


If books were as cheap as candy, which ones would you give out to trick-o-treaters? 
For Children: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
For Bigger Children: Series of Unfortunate Events
Teenagers: Slasher Girls and Monster Boys

Halloween to-read list? 

Recommend some Halloween reads? 
I haven't been reading horror long enough to recommend any, but I'd love if you could recommend some to me in the comments!

You Might Also Like

0 comments