Worlds of Ink & Shadow Review || IF YOU ARE A WRITER OR A FAN OF THE BRONTE SIBLINGS THEN THIS BOOK IS FRIGGIN FANTASTIC PICK IT UP UP UP UP UP

Author: Lena Coakley Series: N/A Publishing Date: January 5th, 2016 Genre: Historical fiction, fantasy, young adult FIND IT ELSEW...

Author: Lena Coakley
Series: N/A
Publishing Date: January 5th, 2016
Genre: Historical fiction, fantasy, young adult

FIND IT ELSEWHERE 

Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne. The Brontë siblings have always been inseparable. After all, nothing can bond four siblings quite like life in an isolated parsonage out on the moors. Their vivid imaginations lend them escape from their strict upbringing, actually transporting them into their created worlds: the glittering Verdopolis and the romantic and melancholy Gondal. But at what price? As Branwell begins to slip into madness and the sisters feel their real lives slipping away, they must weigh the cost of their powerful imaginations, even as their characters—the brooding Rogue and dashing Duke of Zamorna—refuse to let them go.


I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

THIS BOOK WILL BE PUBLISHED IN ABOUT A WEEK! *jumps up and down* I NEEDS IT!


This book is based on the earlier writings of the Bronte siblings, and it paints a beautiful picture of both their real lives and their fictional worlds. If you are a fan of the literary Bronte family, and/or you are a writer, or if you even just enjoy a bit of history, then you'll find something in this book to enjoy. If you don't like any of the above, this book will be a total bore.

There! I said it! I AM a Bronte fan, a writer, and a history nut, and even I found this story to drag on in many places. The first forty pages were the real killer. I was begging the writer to JUST START THE STORY ALREADY. She had written some little things, hinted at adventure and mystery just enough for me to hold on. Reading this book was like panning for gold during the gold rush. I knew there was gold in these pages somewhere, but I had to go through a lot of tedious stuff to strike it rich. 

That being said, I definitely DID find a lot of glitter and magic in this story.

From a writer's point of view:

The Bronte siblings have the power to jump into their stories (but at what cost? DUN DUN DUUUNNN). That's right! Imagine sitting at your computer, writing your characters, longing to see exactly what surrounds them and see their faces and BE IN THEIR WORLD! Well the Bronte's could do that. All they had to do was write, hold out their hands, and take a door from the real world, to the worlds of their dreams. I was honestly seething in jealousy part of the time I read this. 

If you're a writer, this is a book to read if you feel like gossiping and griping about writing stories and terrible characters who have the gall to become human like and develop wills of their own.
"Sometimes, in spite of her best efforts, her characters would drift away from the plot like recalcitrant sheep, as Mary Henrietta was doing now. She often felt that being an author was like being a sheepdog, always snapping at the characters' heels to keep them on track." 

From a Bronte fan's point of view:
Um, who knew that the Bronte's had a brother? Or two dead sisters? Or what the personalities of the four living Bronte's were?

*sits down*
*doesn't raise hand at all*

WELL I NEVER KNEW 
(though a quick google search could have answered two of those questions for me)


I really loved reading this book and finding out that Emily was the beautiful wild child. That Charlotte was sensible and plain looking. That Anne was shy, reserved, but the most honest and wise of them all. I never knew that Elizabeth and Maria Bronte even existed, or that they were the older sisters of Charlotte. I never knew they had a brother who was a painter.


It was so incredibly fascinating to read this story, and see characters from the Bronte's work reflect the Bronte's personality. Jane Eyre? You can see the inspiration throughout Worlds of Ink & Shadow. Wuthering Heights? Totally reflects Emily's passion for gloomy and dramatic situations. I've never read a book by Anne Bronte (though I REALLY WANT TO), but I'm sure even some of her works are reflected in this book. 

Even their brother Branwell, who never really became famous for anything other then his portrait of his sisters, his life and his future are explained in this story too. It's heartbreaking really.

From a historical point of view:

This intermingles with the Bronte fan point of view. But what I really found fascinating was how Branwell's painting got some of the spotlight in the story. How the Bronte's short lives where worked into the writings. How Branwell turned out in life, how the Moors, and legendary Old Tom, and even the simple fact that nobody had anywhere to toss their sewage in those small towns. So many historical details are woven into this writing to make it that much richer.

This story gets 4 stars, because despite the wealth of gold infused in the pages, there were still a crap ton of boring bits.

soundtrack: whenever they crossed over I heard  "HELLO FROM THE OTHER SIIIIIDE" every time! So, I'd like to add Hello by Adele to all playlists made for this book.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. THIS BOOK SOUNDS SOOOO GOOD!

    I've seen it around a bit but I don't think I've actually read what it's about before but DANG! High key Bronte fic? YES PLEASE!!

    I can totally believe that Charlotte was the plain one (a Plain Jane, you could say, hahahaha I'm so funny) and that Emily was the beautiful wild one (I mean, Wuthering Heights, hello?)

    But the writerly stuff sounds amazing! And I love that quote about characters being like recalcitrant sheep ... I FEEL THAT.

    Great review, SJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THERE'S SO MANY THINGS IN THIS BOOK THAT MADE ME GO "Well THAT's where Jane got the plainness from. SHE'S A TOTAL REFLECTION OF CHARLOTTE!" Ugh this book was so good for moments like that. Thanks for commenting! :D AND I HOPE YOU READ THIS BOOK

      Delete