Bookish New Year's Resolutions + Monthly TBR: JANUARY 2016

Hello, one and all! This is a new year, and for the first time in my life, I feel like I NEED New Years Resolutions. I've always ...



Hello, one and all! This is a new year, and for the first time in my life, I feel like I NEED New Years Resolutions. I've always been happy with who I am. Never felt like I needed to change anything about myself, and I never had goals. I just happily progressed through life. Well, 2015 kind of broke me down and chewed me out. The year started really well, but went to hell in the Spring time. The Summer, Autumn, and Winter have been hell. I don't like who I am. I'm not proud of who I was when I ended the year. There's a lot in my personal life that I need to change. But my blog isn't about my personal life! It's about BOOKS! And Books are a big reason as to why I didn't leave 2015 a completely miserable, depressed, shattered human being. Books gave me heart. Books gave me goals. Books stimulated my mind. Books kept me from going insane. Really, this blog, and all my friends I've met through blogging, and my sanity- I have to owe to books. 

I want to start 2016 strong. In my personal life, I aim to be more fearless, courageous, driven, and not afraid to speak my mind. I'm hoping 2016 shows a lot of character development for me, and hopefully by 2017 I can be writing about my happy ending. In my blogging life, I want to give it my all. I want to treat this blog right, do all I can to really get it off the ground. No more lazing about! I MUST SHAPE UP *flexes noodley reader arms* So, here are my specific BOOKISH New Years Resolutions.

  1. Review books more intelligently and succinctly.
  2. Respond coherently to people's comments. I get so excited there's a comment that I flail and I'm like "as;ldkfj;alsdjf THANK YOU;alskdjflakdjf" and I just fail at inspiring discussions. 
  3. Read MORE
  4. While I want to read more, I have to stop feeling guilty about NOT reading more. Reading isn't a chore. I don't have to be a slave to it. I gotta chill and just read what I want when I want (so long as it's more often than otherwise).
  5. Actually read the book my blog's named after- A Tree Grows In Brooklyn 
  6. Comment at least once a day on someone else's blog
  7. I want to get more involved in those habitual posts that I've seen bloggers do- Top 10 Tuesdays, monthly recaps, montly tbr...etc. 
  8. Finish my goodreads challenge. I've never read more than 26 books a year. My goal this year is 50. That's a book per week, with just a smidgen of wiggle room.

 I CAN DO THIS!


JANUARY TBR

I mean to get to work on those resolutions right away! Haha, you didn't believe me did you? You thought ol' SJ would list out things To Do and then never actually do them? Well, you had reason to believe that. I am a slacker. I might slack off by next month. But I did aim to start this year strong, so here it goes! BE PROUD OF ME AND MY FIRST MONTHLY TBR!

  1. Blue Lily, Lily Blue & Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater- I aim to finish this series before the last book comes out. 
  2. Truthwitch by Susan Dennard- have to finish my ARC before the 5th.
  3. Never Never by Brianna Shrum- I consistently read disappointed reviews for this. Need to see what all the glummed sighs are about.
  4. Bone Gap by Laura Ruby - because Cait rated it among her top 3 reads of 2015.
  5. Girl Online On Tour by Zoe Sugg- because my best friend demands it.

Well, that's all, chums! What are some of your new years resolutions this year? Did you have a a good New Years? A good 2015? Tell me all about it! :) And Don't forget: I have a giveaway still running, and I need some answers on my quick survey (to help me improve this blog)!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I only properly came across Goodreads in the past few days, and it's been the motivation for me to get reading again. In the past few years, I've barely read, because I've always felt that I have no real time for it, but I really feel like I've been bitten again by the reading bug. FINALLY!!!

    As for resolutions, I'm aiming for 20 books this year, which will trounce the 5 I managed last year, as well as actually cleaning my glasses every day. Big steps!

    Good luck with your resolutions, especially your 50 books! I'm not convinced that I'd be ready to tackle that many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'RE ON GOODREADS NOW?? :D *cough* give me your link so i can *cough* follow you *cough* Ahem, what? Anyways, I wish you well in your resolutions ^_^ I think 20 is manageable, and with all this motivation you'll reach it I'm sure (also I think cleaning glasses every day might be the harder part xD) And thank you for commenting! SO nice to have you here on the blog!

      Delete
  2. HECK I LOVE YOUR NEW DESIGN! IT'S BEAUTIFUL! So I mentioned design when I filled out the survey and you have anSWERED MY EVERY NEED. I so enjoy the Stiefvater presence in your header.

    Really and truly, you have skyrocketed to the league of Emily's Favourite Designs.

    I love resolution #4. It's so hard to get the balance, as a reader. I'm reading Les Mis right now, and I don't want to force myself to read 50 pages per day, I want to just take it as it comes, but equally, it's 1200 pages long and I don't want to spend two months reading it! It's tough, because 26 books -- a book per fortnight -- is actually pretty good, it's far more than most people read ... AND YET, because the OVERWHELMING NUMBER OF BOOKS, it's not enough! New releases, sequels, they fly at us from every direction! We cringe and cower! And sometimes I feel guilty for reading long classics (like Les Mis) because I feel that they take too much time, or for rereading, because is it a waste? And then I have to step back and remind myself that that's *not the point of reading*.

    Anyway.

    Mini-rant over.

    Very best of luck with your resolutions! One of mine is to be a better blogger, better at reading other people's blogs. As you can see, I'm a month late commenting here. But I hope you got through your January tbr, specifically the Stiefvater! TRC just keeps getting better O.o

    Seeing "take it back now y'all" in your sidebar made me smile.

    I look forward to reading your posts as I work through the backlog on my feed!

    PS It gives me so much joy to hear that books and blogging got you through 2015. Seriously email me anytime if you need to chat.

    ReplyDelete