CONQUER THE GOODREADS CHALLENGE || A How To presented by a lazy person

underlying image is not mine In 2015, I set a goal to read 30 books for the reading challenge that Goodreads puts on every year. T...

underlying image is not mine


In 2015, I set a goal to read 30 books for the reading challenge that Goodreads puts on every year. That's a perfectly manageable number of books to read in an entire year. Right? ...well I started the challenge in June, and took entire months off from reading (Netflix called to me and I'm an obedient servant). I finished the year with 27 books read. And that upsets me a lot, because I WAS ONLY 3 BOOKS OFF MY MARK!



I'm just going to come right out and say it- I've attempted the Goodreads Challenge at least three times, and I continuously drop the ball. I KNOW! HOW do I keep doing this?? It's shameful! *crawls into a dank hole* Which is frustrating. But at the same time, I never really gave it serious attention so it's not really a mystery why I'm failing at something I should have complete control over. 

This year, I aim to change that. I AIM TO SHAPE UP!


I've been reading around on the blogosphere, and I've discovered a few things from those of us strong enough to vanquish the Goodreads Challenge. After reading all there is to read on the subject, I've decided to pool my new found conquering knowledge into a How To list. 

HOW TO CONQUER THE GOODREADS CHALLENGE
Knowledge pulled from the internet and translated by SJ Bouquet


1. Know yourself: determine # of books to read, and allow for life disasters- 
CHECK! I know I'm lazy. I know I keep failing because I procrastinate and always rely on having more time when in reality time is running out. My goal this year is to read a lot of books, but I know I can't predict the entire year. I know things will come up. I know I'll fall into reading slumps. But I'm also determined to accomplish all my goals. So, I have chosen to set my challenge to 50 books. Because there are 52 weeks in a year. I have a whole week to reach each book, and two weeks for wiggle room. Just perfect for my lazy self.


2. Be a Tortoise, not a Hare: Plan your year with care- 
At the moment, I'm all geared up to finish this reading challenge. So while I have all this energy and focus, I'm going to read as much as I can. It's okay to start strong, rush out of the gate. That's GOOD. But at the same time, you don't want to be like the Hare. You don't want to burn yourself out and laze through the last few legs of the challenge. You want to be like the Tortoise. Stay steady. Keep a schedule. Keep mini goals throughout the year, and meet them. While the race is on, don't stop to rest unless you've planned it out. 


3. Read during ANY free time: even if you aren't liking the book- 
Too often I found myself staring at my phone or at the wall during the dull bits of life. Too often I put off reading because I just found the story to be too boring. Either stop reading the boring book, or pick it up whenever you can. The latter part applies to all reading. If you're cooking, waiting for water to boil and you don't have to prep anything- Read. Are you at some boring event? Read. Are you waiting for your laundry to finish? Read. In the middle of texting your boyfriend Adrian when he suddenly decides to disappear for hours? Read instead of wondering if he got struck by a meteor. Find a book on your phone and read. Get a book on audio. On your computer. A physical copy. Whatever! The times to read are endless, and it adds up! If you just read five minutes here and there, you'll be done with a book in no time. Fun fact: my incredibly busy mother read 70 books in four months. She's not a fast reader. She just reads whenever she gets an opportunity to. I'm telling you folks, reading in the spare spaces of the day really works.


4. Have a jolly good time. 
At the end of the day, it's just a challenge. It's not homework. It's not a job. Don't turn it into something that will make you miserable. It is a challenge. It will be hard. But this challenge is for you and you alone. The thing to take away from the Goodreads Challenge isn't that you met or didn't meet your goal. It's that you READ! You get to travel to different worlds, submerse yourself in different cultures, learn different points of views. So what if I didn't read the 30 books I aimed to read? Look at it another way and you can see what I DID do. I DID travel to the Grisha Verse. I DID go to school with Harry Potter. I DID fall in love with Gansey. I DID genuinely fear the artificial intelligence that is AIDEN. 2015 was a great reading year. Now, I'm allowing myself to be challenged, and I plan to make 2016 even better.


And that's the condensed version of all I've learned! 
Here's to a wonderful year filled to the brim with adventure, romance, fantasy, mystery and escapes. I hope you all reach your goals, but even if you don't, it's okay.

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. This will be very helpful for me I know because I've never finished a Goodreads reading challenge either and it's sooo frustrating. I think #3 is the big one for me. (This whole post was super fun :) )

    Also, oh. my. gosh. girl. Your new blog design is beautiful!! Please please PLEASE tell me how you got the tiny clickable twitter icon in the upper left corner above the blog header.

    ** I had to delete the first version of this and correct a typo. My grammar perfectionist wouldn't let me leave. It wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! I'm glad you liked my post ^_^ and goood luck with #3. For real, that parts the kicker of the challenge.

      AND THANK YOU THANK YOU! :D I found that twitter thing in the html for my blog. I just had to plug in my links. Facebook, instagram, and twitter all worked for the whole "plug in a link" method, but I couldn't for the life of me get goodreads or bloglovin to show up. It was weird. BUT TWITTER WORKED SO HUZZAH! I could send you screen shots if you want :)
      btw totally know how you feel on that typo thing xD

      Delete
    2. I would love it if you could send me screen shots! Thanks so much :D

      Delete
  2. I love you and have total confidence you can beat this challenge! I'm starting out small with 15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DITTO, MY DARLING! :) And 15 for you! That's great :D which ones do you think you'll read?

      Delete
  3. I looove goodreads goals. *beams happily* I mean my ULTIMATE dream is to read one book per day for a whole year but HA HA HA THAT AIN'T HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. *ahem* So far I've always massively exceeded my goodreads goal, but a trick I use is: aim lower. And then you feel awesome for over achieving. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good trick! xD lol thank you for your comment

      Delete
  4. CAN I JUST SAY THAT I REALLY REALLY LOVE SCHMIDT? I APPRECIATE ALL THE SCHMIDT GIFs!!! Hahaha. Anyway. When I read the title, right off the bat, I knew I was going to read something worthwhile.

    I can totally relate to your struggle. I suck at time management and I'm a victim of too much binge watching as well. It isn't just a crime, it is a serious mental condition.

    Good luck with your goals though! I hope you're able to accomplish it this time. ☺

    #Commenting365
    Shealea @ that bookshelf bitch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yasss Shmidt! He has some great lines xD But ugh yes binge watching is great and glorious at the same time! >.< AND I WISH YOU LUCK WITH ALL YOUR GOALS TOO! :D THANKS FOR COMMENTING

      Delete
  5. Great post!I'm aiming for 50 books as well! One thing I personally discovered last month was the beauty of audiobooks! When I'm on the train/bus or cleaning I listen to an audiobook- it helped me complete my GR goal :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes AUDIO BOOKS! I'm ordering Cinder from the library in audio book form ^_^ hopefully that'll speed things up for me! And good luck with your 50 books! KEEP ME POSTED! :D

      Delete
  6. THIS IS AN ADORABLE GUIDE WE SHOULD ALL FOLLOW LIKE LITTLE MINIONS. Ahaha this seriously made me laugh though AND I KNOW YOUR PAIN! I almost finished the year with 99 books. I COULDN'T LIVE WITH READING 99 WHEN MY GOAL WAS 100!! So I binge read Cress and it was good and fantastic and cute and wonderful and every positive word in the dictionary and beyond and asdfghjkl. But hey good luck with this year. YOU CAN DO IT! I WILL CHEER YOU ON FOREVERRRRRR (GOOOOO SJ!!!!!)ALSO I SEE A VAGUE MENTION OF LILLUMINAE AND I AM ROLLING ALL OVER THE GROUND ASDFGHJKJHGFDS. AIDEN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Haha, heres to 2016 XD! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe one of your resolutions was to comment more AND HERE YOU ARE, FRIEND! Hi. Hi. I'd give you cookies but I just ate them all, my bad O_O anyways YOU'RE HERE! Thank you for commenting ^_^ I'M GLAD IT MADE YOU LAUGH! ALSO AIDEN! OH MY GOSH AIDEEENNN! I LOVED HIS CHARACTER

      Delete
  7. This is the post I didn't know I needed in my life. Seriously. I almost decided not to do a Goodreads challenge this year because I was so upset with how the last few have gone. Now that I'm into more AP classes almost all I do is read for class and do homework so that leaves little free time. Plus, when I do get free time, I'm so done with reading and writing that all I want is to do something mindless like watch Netflix until the end of days. So not many books get read during the school year, making it crazy hard to reach the kind of goal that I would love to set for myself.

    I'm so glad other people know how it feels! I always get discouraged as all my Goodreads friends surpass their miraculously high goals months in advance, wile my challenge helpfully reminds me that I'm about 30+ books behind. It's so good to know that I'm not the only lazy person out there, haha!

    Great post and I love the New Girl gifs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Briana! :D I get really discouraged when people on Goodreads whip out all these reads like it's no big deal O_O seriously what are their secrets? Even if I dedicate all my time to reading (which I AM), I cannot read that fast! HOW DO THEY DO?? For you tho, you are buuuusssyyyy! Lordy lordy you sound like you have a lot on your plate. And you know what? It's incredibly relaxing to come home and just sprawl out and watch Netflix. You want to be as relaxed as possible, especially with the stress of school looming over you. The great thing about Goodreads Challenge is that it's totally obligation free. It's up to you how much to read, or even if you WANT to read. At the end of the horribly weighted, stressful, crazy year you can look back and see that on top of ALL OF THAT! On top of EVERYTHING! You sat down and you READ. You traveled to different worlds. Looking back on your accomplishments alone is so gratifying. Don't look at everyone else, just look at beautiful accomplished you and all that you achieve :)

      I hope you get to read some fun fiction this year ^_^ And watch aallll the awesome shows on Netflix xD SEASON FOUR OF NEW GIRL FINALLY CAME OUT! And Parks and Rec is in a few days ^_^

      Delete
  8. Hope you manage this better this year, but I wouldn't stress too much about it - remember that the point of reading is to enjoy it, so if you're stressing about a challenge number you won't be doing that. Goals are good - but only if they don't make you crazy!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly ^_^ Goals are good, but in the end, the important thing isn't the number of books you read, but the simple fact that you did READ.

      Delete