Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Review || calling 1-800-NEED-MORE-ZOMBIES

Author(s): Jane Austen, and Seth Grahame-Smith Series: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies #1 Publishing Date: May 1st, 2009 Genre: hi...



Author(s): Jane Austen, and Seth Grahame-Smith
Series: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies #1
Publishing Date: May 1st, 2009
Genre: historical fiction, horror, humor
Page Count: 319

FIND IT ELSEWHERE
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes and Noble

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.”
So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she’s soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you’d actually want to read.

REVIEW

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that this book was a re-telling. About zombies. I guess I was expecting deviation from Jane Austen's traditional plot, and a zombie story. A zombie apocalypse with Jane Austen characters? 


I don't know, but what I got was the book- Pride and Prejudice- copy and pasted into a new book, with zombies thrown in. Like tossing cherry tomatoes into a pre-existing salad. It was the same Jane Austen plot exactly (+ zombies). I've never read this zombie book before, and I could quote it verbatim WHILE I WAS READING IT FRESH. Nothing surprised me. I am an old Jane Austen fan, so I was just disappointed that it wasn't a new read. Also that there weren't more zombie central scenes.


What I did get were the Bennett sisters trained in the ways of killing zombies, so that at the ball (the one a lot of us have read and seen in movies a thousand times), they could kill the zombies that randomly came crashing in.

That's how a lot of the book went. Normal Jane Austen scene- zombies moan and howl. Elizabeth slices and dices them... and then they carry on. And Darcy is like, "Good form, madam." Also there were some gem lines like this one- "Your balls, Mr. Darcy?" "They are yours, Miss Elizabeth." They're talking about bullets haha! And there were some minor plot changes that I rather loved. Overall though, it wasn't enough for me to love the book.


The blurb at the end explained that Seth Grahame-Smith was kind of making fun of the classic obsession with gothic novels. That explanation really made me like this book. This story is making fun of society. It's saying, as long as you add zombies to anything the people are going to eat it out of the palm of your hand. It can be the same exact Pride and Prejudice that has been around for 200 years, but the moment you add Zombies, new people will love it becaUSE ZOMBIES. In Jane's day, she wrote a book called Northanger Abbey that was basically making fun of her society that was crazy about gothic novels. A large part of society then would read plot copied books, one after another, because it was Gothic. People read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies because zombies. So I thought that was a cool aspect of the book. It mirrored subtle societal trend bashing.

So in short- Jane Austen is a great author. Zombie elements are hilarious. I just wish there was more deviation from the classic plot.
 I think this would be a fantastic film. It was a great idea, just not a great read. Jane Austen books disallow the use of sensory details (generally). Being able to hear what's going on and see it on the big screen will be much more enjoyable for a broader audience I think.     

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. HAHAHAHA I LOVE THAT GIF AT THE END OMGGG! But yeah, being a P&P fan, I was a bit sad to see it was just a rehash of P&P with some zombies...because I thought the same, that it would be a retelling!
    I've never read Northanger Abbey (I WILL, I WILL...sometime in the future), but that's really cool, how this works in conjunction with that! Makes the book more awesome now, imo haha xD
    Great review, SJ - I learned a bit about Northanger Abbey! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to read Northanger Abbey either, but i've seen the movie AND IT'S MARVELOUS (because JJ Field and his knowledge of muslins ♥ lol). But yeah I totally agree. I read that blurb at the end and it raised my opinion of the overall story ^_^
      Thanks for commenting! Hope you read that book soon

      Delete
  2. Reading your review I'll just way for the movie to come out on DVD. It sucks that this book is basically the same. I can just read the original. Plus, ZOMBIES....How can you go wrong with zombies. They're supposed to be the main attraction so put lots and lots of zombies.

    Hopefully the movie is good. Are you going to give your thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I was expecting them to be the main attraction but like... no o.O They were sprinkled in like salt. It was a nice additive but not the central idea. AND YES! :D I plan on reviewing/giving thoughts on the movie ^_^ I can't wait to see Matt Smith portray Mr. Collins haha

      Delete
  3. How funny - I thought it would be a retelling too. I agree that the commentary at the end would make me appreciate it more. I think I'll just watch the movie instead of reading the book, though - seems like it will be great fun!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete