Sunday Confessionals || I don't like ARCs

Hello hello! Today I'm addressing- ARCs. An ARC is an Advanced Reader's Copy that publishers have a limited amount of and hand o...


Hello hello! Today I'm addressing- ARCs. An ARC is an Advanced Reader's Copy that publishers have a limited amount of and hand out to bloggers. The point of an ARC is to simply drum up hype for a book. Or gain feedback on an unpublished story. It's a free marketing tool. Additionally, bloggers get free books.

My confession today is- I don't like ARCs. 

Now when I say I "don't like" them, I don't mean that I find them fuel for bloggers to get their panties in a twist of jealousy and angst. I don't loathe them for making people feel bad if they aren't one of the chosen few to receive a "golden egg".

When I say I don't "like" them, I mean I don't like them in the same way that I don't necessarily like paper back books. In the hierarchy of books on my shelves it goes- Hardbacks, Paperbacks, Audio book, and then ARC's.

♥I'm a bookshelf aesthetics snob♥

I think ARCs are cool if you're trying to put together a collection of works by your favorite author. For example, I wouldn't mind getting Leigh Bardugo ARCs. They make a collection complete. But other than for that reason, I don't WANT an ARC.

Why: I'm greedy, and I can't stand wasted space. Also they are riddled with mistakes.


Greedy in the sense that if I hate the book, I can't sell it. It says in big words on the cover of most ARCs that they aren't to be sold. So I can't get money for my disappointing ARC. Alternatively, I could trade ARCs and receive books I do want in return. But that's only if somebody out there has something I actually WANT, and I have an ARC that they want. If I'm stuck with undesirable ARCs, they'll just hang out on my shelf taking up space and collecting dust. 

I can't stand wasted space either. I have limited room on my shelves, and it drives me nuts knowing that I have books on there that I don't want, but can't seem to get rid of. They just kind of pile up and go nowhere.

As for the mistakes, ARCs are unfinished copies of books. The author is still editing them. So there are all kinds of mistakes in them, and it's really distracting when trying to take in plot and characters. When I have a book on my shelf I prefer it to have a hard cover. I want it to also be complete- rid of mistakes and completely fleshed out. So even if I do like the story of an ARC, I would much rather have the hardback version. I know I can donate ARCs to schools or libraries, and I probably will, but it makes me cringe to know that children will be reading books with so many mistakes- typos, awkward phrasing. 

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. This is VERY interesting, I don't know that I have heard very many people take your stance, but I think it's a great one! I mean, talk about a completely reasonable and logical reason to not like ARCs! It's so simple, so drama free hahah. It IS a really good point- obviously hardcovers are clean and polished and edited and generally quite pretty! The reason I like ARCs? I find it easier to read paperback... and I am too impatient to wait for a book to actually be released in paperback. Plus if it's a book I love, I end up buying the hardcover anyway, just to look at the shiny pretty- and to support the author who wrote ALL the wonderfulness.

    A REALLY good example of your point is Passenger. I got a BEA ARC, and apparently, it is a MESS- not just the editing stuff, but the author was planning to make tons of changes, since the book wasn't coming out for like, 9 or 10 months. So I was starting to read it, but then I heard that MAJOR plot changes had happened! So yeah, just waiting for my hardcover to arrive ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your example! See, having that would totally drive me nuts. I would have no use for it, so I'd be dying to get rid of it (I'm kind of the opposite of a pack rat o.O). Unless of course I loved the finished copy of the book. If I absolutely loved the finished version to the point of putting it on a pedestal or giving it it's own shelf space, then I would keep the ARC- for collector purposes haha.
      Thank you for your comment! ^_^

      Delete
  2. I like ARCs because I'm impatient and want books NOW, but I'm with you, they aren't pretty on my shelf whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARCs ARE wonderful for satisfying that undying need to get a read NOW haha xD and what's better? THEY'RE FREE!

      Delete
  3. So funnily enough, I have never actually read a mistake in an ARC!! Maybe the Aussie ones are just better. ;) MWHAHAH. Ahem. But I've changed my tune about ARCs recently, actually....I used to love them? But now I have a job and a little money to buy books so I don't feel the pressing neeeeeed to get an ARC. I'd rather wait and get a pretty cover that looks nice on my shelf. :') (AND A HARDCOVER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE BECAUSE HOLY CRACKERS I LOVE HARDCOVERS IT'S AN ADDICTION HELP.) I also feel less pressure to like a book if it's not an ARC. hehe. BUT ANYWAY. I think they're great, don't get me wrong! But I don't crave them like I used to. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no mistakes for real??? I see them all over! and such awkward phrasing at times o.O BUT YES YES HARDCOVERS IS MY JAM (jam and crackers aha...now i'm hungry!). They look so nice! I think it's the rounded edge of the spine that I really like??

      Delete
  4. Honestly, I don't understand all the hype surrounding ARCs. I mean, of course is exciting to have a book before the actual release date, but I've noticed recently that a lot of people have the access to the same ARCs. Passenger, by Alexandra Braecken, was ALL OVER booktube/book blogging months and months before the release, so it wasn't even a big deal anymore when it was actually out. Maybe, is just because living where I live (which is Brazil, by the way), I'm used to wait for books to be translated or to arrive, to say the least, which means I find completely normal to wait until THE RELEASE. But I'm glad there are also people living happily WITHOUT ARCs, hahah. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a phenomenal point! All the ARCs are taking away from the release date. By the time they're published, sometimes, it's kind of old news. More and more lately, I'll think a book is ALREADY published, because so many people are reviewing it. But when I go to check it out, it's still got some time to go before it's out.
      Thank you so much for your comment ^_^

      Delete
    2. Oooh, Lais makes a really good point here! Sometimes it can be so hard to hold off on talking about a book until just before the release date (or right after), but sometimes the hype way ahead of time can make a book feel like old news by the time it comes out.

      Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

      Delete
  5. It is frustrating when ARCs have a lot of mistakes - and they often aren't as pretty as regular books. I never realized I could donate ARCs to my local library. I'll have to find out if mine takes them!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete